Sloping with blasting sand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sloping with blasting sand?

I just got into planted tanks about 6 months ago (and this place has been a huge help!). I used medium grit blasting sand on my 120, and I've noticed it doesn't maintain the slopes I created very well - i guess the word "settles" might describe it. I didn't have anything steep, but probably went from 2" in front to 4" in back on a 18" wide (front to back) tank. There's a little slope left, but not near as much.

I made a deal on a used 240 yesterday, and I'm wondering if I should use the coarse grit instead of the medium when I set this one up. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 03:10 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
Coarse grit isnt going to be much better as far as retaining a slope.

I dont have any tricks to do that, seen folks add a layer of lava rock underneath to help, but I really cant say if that works or not

Maybe somebody else will chime in with a good method.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can use nylon sheets and cut strips to about 1/2" under the depth of the substrate you want and push them down in to hold back the sand, kind of like a hidden retaining wall. It may take several strips at differing heights to keep the slope. Depending on flow of water and type of fish these may become exposed from time to time but the general angle of the slope should remain and you can just push the disturbed sand back over top. Just a thought.

Dan

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I used some coarse sponge to build up a slight slope in my tank. It worked well until S..Repens roots hooked into it and pulled it up when I pulled them.

That or egg crate may work great for you depending on your application.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnboone View Post
I just got into planted tanks about 6 months ago (and this place has been a huge help!). I used medium grit blasting sand on my 120, and I've noticed it doesn't maintain the slopes I created very well - i guess the word "settles" might describe it. I didn't have anything steep, but probably went from 2" in front to 4" in back on a 18" wide (front to back) tank. There's a little slope left, but not near as much.

I made a deal on a used 240 yesterday, and I'm wondering if I should use the coarse grit instead of the medium when I set this one up. Suggestions?
I've used black corrugated plastic which I've cut into small sections and inserted into my slopes for my Spec V, and it is also how I plan to support my slopes of aquasoil in my 112 I am setting up right now. You can find it at home depot for a fair price and it's the same stuff you see James Findley use in The Green Machine videos. I will admit I'm not sure how well it would work for blasting sand.

Trent

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode