I beat profile substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I beat profile substrate

At first when i switched from gravel/laterite to profile and gravel I had didn't have all my ferts. I was missing NO3, PO4, traces, andpottasium.... At first since upgradign from 110 watt to 20 it was great bu then the nutrients hit a brick wall

at 3.5 wpg in a 75 i got algae BAD. I ordered traces and phourus(sp?) because i figured it would help(stupididity) so i dosed PO4 into the tank wihtout any amount of pottasium. PO4 got high.

Also profile made my KH jump all over... normal here is 8
at the end of the week it would be 4 and 3 days after a water change it would be 4. bu for the fist few after a wc it was 6.
I bought NO3 2 weeks after the switch of substrates it helped at first. last water change i dosed potassium

Well after 4 weeks of floating plants(light substrate) varring KH, high PO4 my plants are growing VERY well. pearling like mad, and look GREAT.

Now my PO4 is .25 untill i dose it to 1ppm and my KH is steady at 7.

Now that my plants are growing well i have enough plant to really stick them deep into the substrate so they actaully stay there... I put to much profile in and not enough gravel. about 85 %profile 15% gravel.

I have the profile aquatic soil i got it from walmart for 3 bucks for 10 lbs on sale. and washed it a lot with a little water changer i though up so i did no work and it didn't cloud my water bad at all.
O and another mixtake i did was buy liquid ferts.. I'm putign in 120 ml of pottasium for 75 gallons... didn't read abotu dry ferts

Profile can work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 06:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
my 29 is about 70/30 profile/flourite with pretty fair mixing of the two throughout all layers of the substrate. I have no complaints about this mix at all. the only problems i ever had with profile were the color and the weight. with your gravel on top it would have solved both of those problems... as for the kH issues, i've read about that several places but never had problems with it. I adjust kH to 4.5 with baking soda with each water change and i don't think i've ever had it creep above 5.5 (100 ppm) without intentional adjustment. i've read of people blaming profile for kH swings enough times to believe that it's possible, but i've never seen it first hand.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
well this was the substrate... I had the oppisite problem of others.. my kh went down bu tnow leveled off... their problems ussually include kh going way up. And the lightness is a pain for me becuase to make it worse i have goldfish and they like to tear it up. I'm waiting till i only have 5 or 6y and then they can go in the 55 right now i have 4 in 55 5 in 75. But i wouldn't mind giving away a few to goldfish people i know because they aren't my favorites... Then this tank goes trop's and maybe a new substrate

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode