putting in nutrients after changing to flourite substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
putting in nutrients after changing to flourite substrate?

thanks for reading. i was just wondering, how long do you wait before dosing nutrients such as nitrates, phospate, irons, etc. Cause i just received my order Flourite from www.BigAlonline.com. please also give me some tips on changing the substrate will really appreciate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 02:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

Are you just starting this tank or has it been set up already with plants?

He who angers you, controls you!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

sup trenac, yeah this tank already setup up.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 11:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have never changed out the substrate with a established tank but I think you would need to remove the fish before doing so. Make sure you rinse the flourite very well, using a collandar works great.

I would add ferts after a couple of weeks, counting from the first day of planting. Then I would dose half doses to begin with and then increase/decrease depending how your plants look.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 12:18 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
The best thing to do is just start over, get yourself a cooler or big buckets ,depending on what you have for fish , empty the tank, pour in the *well-rinsed* flourite and fill her back up.
The whole process done with forethought to a plan should only take a couple hours top's

As far as dosing ferts, wait as long as your plants will let you, when they look like they need a kick then start dosing. It all depends on lighting, water quality (tapwater micros) etc... some plants can go 6-8 weeks easily in lower/ or moderate lighting.
Start dosing before the plants are ready and you are only inviting algae
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 03:32 PM

I've actually changed the substrate in my 20gallon with fish in the tank. I used a dog food scoop to remove the flourite, then vac'd after I let the dust settle, then added the eco complete.

Keep in mind, this could cause a mini-cycle, depending on how much surface area you have in your mechanical filter media, number of plants, and fish load.

Also, flourite only supplies iron to the plant roots...flourite in itself isn't a wicked fertilizer...but it has the ability to trap and hold mulm and root tabs and make that available to plant roots. In other words, flourite isn't going to affect water column dosing of ferts. However, since you'll be replanting the plants...they'll go through a bit of a 'shock' phase. I'd say you'll wanna wait a couple of weeks before you start doing any kind of macro dosing. Some good root tabs, however, wouldnt' be a bad idea right after replanting, if you have heavy root feeders (like swords and crypts)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

thanks, man i just replace the substrate with flourite..man it soo cloudy...i didn't rinse or anything..since i heard people say that it might take away stuff...so i just dump it in..and circulate the water in one side and the other side suck the waste out. as i expected it cloud the tank...hopefully tomorrow will be clear...i will buy a bunch of plants and plant it at the same time...i will follow your advice and dose fertilizer after couple of weeks.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I dosed from day one. Tom Barr also advocates dosing immediately

Man, I can't imagine how cloudy it is without rinsing Flourite When I had to add two additional bags of Flourite, I rinsed Flourite well and did not cloud the tank at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

yup it's very cloudy...but after changing like 4 times. it's clear now. still waiting for plants to arrive now.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 05:26 AM
Algae Grower

lol, I didn't rinse at all, it took 2 days for the stuff to settle but it does eventually settle if you don't.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 06:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finex
lol, I didn't rinse at all, it took 2 days for the stuff to settle but it does eventually settle if you don't.
check this out- no rinsing!

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...?t=8906&page=1

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode