plants melting in Aquasoil? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
plants melting in Aquasoil?

Is it common for plants to melt when introduced to a tank with new Aquasoil Amazonia? I started a 10 gallon tank a couple of weeks ago with Aquasoil and all of the plants I put in ( Crypts and Anubias ) melted away. The crypts I expected--but the anubias caught me off guard. The leaves just turned to mush and floated away. Im beginning to see some new growth on the nana petite and the crypts have done pretty well so far--just wondering if it is because of the excess ammonia from the Amazonia? I am guilty of not changing the water more often than usual ( only once a week 50% ) is that the cause? I am going to be using the same type of dirt in the 50 gallon tank Im putting together and I dont want to have the same thing happen to a tank full of more sensitive plants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
I've never heard of any issue like that.

Did you grow the anubias yourself? If not, it's possible they had been grown emmersed. If the rhizome didn't melt(and it sounds like it didn't) then I'd say this is the culprit.

It is possible, however unlikely, that you put it in mid cycle when there were still high levels of nitrite. Nitrite is harmful to plants as well as fish. I really doubt this, but I can't say it's not a possibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
__
__
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 03:04 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Most crypts will melt regardless. Most will bounce back in no time. Anubias however are best tied onto wood or rocks. Their rhizomes shouldn't be burried under the substrate. I'm not sure how you planted the anubias...

|
|
|
|

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The plants were put in as soon as I added the substrate--was that in error? If so, Ive done it again on my 12 cube that I setup last night and I need to go home at lunch and drain all the water out of it. The anubias were super glued to driftwood.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
What lighting are you using, and do you use any CO2? ADA Aquasoil provides good nutrients for the plants, except possibly for potassium, but it doesn't provide the carbon the plants need when driven to grow fast with high light.

Hoppy
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

10 gallon tank with Amazonia ( original ) No CO2 in this tank--Excel dosing per instructions. 30W CFL spiral bulbs mounted horizontally in a hood with ghetto reflectors Dose light EI dry ferts ( slightly less than EI )

I added the soil to an empty tank and planted it all on the same day about 3 weeks ago. The crypts melted and are coming back. The Anubias are glued to driftwood and they lost all leaves ( turned to mush that floated around until I sucked it out with the python ) Just now getting some leaves back.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
When I changed my tanks to Amazonia (regular) I packed it full of everything I could find, plant wise. Nothing melted or died, but I did change the water daily 100% for two weeks until the ammonia levels were at 0. Maybe they couldn't deal with the high level of ammonia? Maybe. The levels are very high. I would recommend daily water changes and as much as you can for a couple of weeks. Maybe you can get them to bounce back.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Shane3fan,

If you got that petite from me it is grown submerge. Just an FYI.

Is it posible you bleach dip the plants when you got it?

-Brian

FILSTAR#88
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

nah--no bleach dip here. It is the petite I got from you. Nothing wrong with it when I got it so no issues there--just something in the acclimation process I suppose.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile

If it doesn't make it let me know I can send you some more just pay shipping! i'd like to make my buyers happy.

-Brian

FILSTAR#88
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgssamson View Post
If it doesn't make it let me know I can send you some more just pay shipping! i'd like to make my buyers happy.

-Brian

Yeah--no problem there. I put some of what you sent me in another tank with inert gravel and it is doing fine. The only die off Ive had was in this tank with the Aquasoil.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode