dosing new soil for low tech 20gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
dosing new soil for low tech 20gal

hi folks
my plans are go to low tech on 20gal tank.. for subtrate iam planning on using basic topsoil + poolfilter sand .

i would like to dose the topsoil with a few things to give it some nutrients to kickstart it while the tank cycles (fishless)..

not sure exactly how to go about this and looking for help/direction on what to do.. at the moment iam thinking maybe sprinkling with some products by osmocote onto the topsoil before capping with sand.. or even getting some jobes sticks and planting them into the soil..

Am i on the right track here?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Using the slow release materials are fine. You can also plant the tank while you are doing the fishless cycle. The plants are part of the bio cycle.
Some plants do not like that much ammonia. If something dies, remove it and try it again after the cycle is done.

If you are heavily planting the tank you may not even need to do a full fishless cycle.
a) The nitrifying bacteria are already living on the leaves and stems.
b) The plants are the biofilter, and the tank may not need a very big population of bacteria (see a)

Start the tank, plant it and add ammonia to 5 ppm. Test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in the first few days. If you find the ammonia is gone overnight even on the first day, and nitrite never shows up you have a 'silent cycle'. The plants are doing so much of the work that your tank can handle fish right away.

On the other hand, watch out using garden soil. It can work really well in an aquarium, but the microorganisms in the soil need several weeks to adjust to underwater living. If you see 'weird' readings of ammonia or anything else, then do not add fish. Continue with the fishless cycle. Some soils add so much ammonia to the water that you do not have to add any for the first couple of weeks. Toward the end the soil is releasing less ammonia and the bacteria are getting really good at removing it and may starve as the soil runs out of ammonia, so think about adding some ammonia if needed.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
I use osmocote. It works great.

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hi thanks for the info..
really looking for more guidance on how to give more nutrients into the soil at this stage...
any specific osmocote product to avoid?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
The best that you can do w/o changing it alltogether is to freeze clay, topsoil, or osmocote and insert the fert-cicles into your substrate. Or you could buy expensive root tabs and pay shipping to recieve less. My osmocote is pretty basic and ive never heard of any that are to be avoided. Hope this helps.

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode