flourite or mts for 75 gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
flourite or mts for 75 gal

hi i was wondering what you guys would recommend mts or flourite or a little bit of both. because i can get a flourite bag for 9$ a bag and was wondering if its better to just do all flourite or go around town and find the materials to do mts. i already researched my towns availability on turface or sas and there is either a 5 bag limit or none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
$9 a bag for flourite? Wow!

I'd do MTS topped with Flourite black, personally. (Which is what I did in my 46gal...)

Welcome to TPT!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
A little off topic but how long would you anticipate your substrate lasting before there is no more benefit from the mts? It's always such a job to replace substrate.

Mark

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
No replacement needed in anything less than 8 years. I have MTS under gravel and use osmocote fertcicles. Trust lauralee

My 65g jungle October rain
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If nothing needs replacing for 8 years then why do you replenish the mts with ferticles?

Mark
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Aquascaper = Artist

PTrader: (104/100%)
I have had my tank set up now for over 2 years with no real issues. I dose every now and then, but nothing of any large amounts. you can always make up your own fert tabs in the form of ice cubes and push them down into the substrate.

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok, so if I'm understanding correctly if you have mts AND you dose dry ferts you can make the substrate last for a very long time yet have the flexibility to say, go on vacation and not have to worry about dosing your dry ferts. On the other hand if you don't supplement the tank with dry ferts or the like you will deplete your mts in as little as a couple of years. Does that sound right?

Mark
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

If you read the article by Aaron Talbot, he and Sean Murphy (who developed the MTS method Aaron wrote up) only dose the occasional potassium and that's it.

Sean's MTS tank has been going strong for over 8 years.

Personally I don't dose anything at all, though I do put some root tabs under my bigger Crypts, but I also have my tank set up as a low light/low tech.

You can dose additional ferts if you want to- whatever works!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Aquascaper = Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMc View Post
Ok, so if I'm understanding correctly if you have mts AND you dose dry ferts you can make the substrate last for a very long time yet have the flexibility to say, go on vacation and not have to worry about dosing your dry ferts. On the other hand if you don't supplement the tank with dry ferts or the like you will deplete your mts in as little as a couple of years. Does that sound right?
Just as Lauralee states above, you don't have to dose but it can make your mts last longer, especially in a low light tank. I actually haven't put any ferts in my tank now for months and it is doing great. You would be able to go on vacation, and neglect it to a point if you really wanted to without causing harm. Best decision I ever made with my tank next to nerites!

here are a few pics of my tank with mts

I inject co2 and am running 216w t5ho catalina lights, 2 rena xp3's and a danner mag needle wheel for co2

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:20 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Tank's looking gorgeous, Barbie!

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:23 AM
Aquascaper = Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp
Tank's looking gorgeous, Barbie!
thanks Laura! Still bustin my balls huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:51 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCryptKeeper View Post
thanks Laura! Still bustin my balls huh?
Awww- you love it! >mwah<

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Aquascaper = Artist

uh huh.... we are threadjacking! sorry p0w yangz

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
haha its ok but yeah i see my question is for like people who tend to move alot would u still recommend mts?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Aquascaper = Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0w_yangz
haha its ok but yeah i see my question is for like people who tend to move alot would u still recommend mts?
sure. Mts is the way to go IMO. You can reuse the topsoil when you move, just strain it out from your capping material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode