Black diamond blasting sand? - The Planted Tank Forum
 33Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mattb126's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 465
Black diamond blasting sand?

Hi, I'm planning a 10 gallon iwagumi scape, and I was planning on using black diamond blasting sand. I'm looking for some pointers and all the information I can get about it? What kind to get, where to get it, how to rinse it, things to worry about, etc.

Thanks
Mattb126 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Nlewis's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northern Va
Posts: 2,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb126 View Post
Hi, I'm planning a 10 gallon iwagumi scape, and I was planning on using black diamond blasting sand. I'm looking for some pointers and all the information I can get about it? What kind to get, where to get it, how to rinse it, things to worry about, etc.

Thanks
All you really need to know is that its awesome. You can pick it up at Tractor Supply and you want to get the medium grit 20/40. You just need to rinse it a bit to get the dust out and every bag is different, anymore I don't even rinse it I just throw it right in the tank.

Just a noob


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nlewis is online now  
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mattb126's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
All you really need to know is that its awesome. You can pick it up at Tractor Supply and you want to get the medium grit 20/40. You just need to rinse it a bit to get the dust out and every bag is different, anymore I don't even rinse it I just throw it right in the tank.
There's no tractor supply near me, is it available at Lowes/HD? Is there any specific brand?

Sent from my iPhone 8 (Dev) using Tapatalk
Mattb126 is offline  
 
post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Nlewis's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northern Va
Posts: 2,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb126 View Post
There's no tractor supply near me, is it available at Lowes/HD? Is there any specific brand?

Sent from my iPhone 8 (Dev) using Tapatalk
Nope, not that I've seen. The brand is Black Diamond and there's an older one I believe that's called Black Beauty.

Just a noob


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nlewis is online now  
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mattb126's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
Nope, not that I've seen. The brand is Black Diamond and there's an older one I believe that's called Black Beauty.
Guess I'll have to plan to go for an hour drive within the next 2 weekends to get some. Thanks!
Mattb126 is offline  
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 11:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Nlewis's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northern Va
Posts: 2,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb126 View Post
Guess I'll have to plan to go for an hour drive within the next 2 weekends to get some. Thanks!
Hell yeah, road trip!

Just a noob


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nlewis is online now  
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mattb126's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
Hell yeah, road trip!
My dad's office is near it actually, I might offer to go help him clean it up one weekend in exchange for some sand
Mattb126 is offline  
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: California
Posts: 888
Just make sure you rinse it properly or else you'll end up doing a water change a few times. I made the mistake of not rinsing it enough when replaced another section of my tank with safe-t-sorb with the blasting sand. The water was a tiny bit cloudy for a few days and I ended doing a water change to help clear it up. It took 2 water changes to finally get it all cleared up.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PortalMasteryRy is offline  
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mattb126's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalMasteryRy View Post
Just make sure you rinse it properly or else you'll end up doing a water change a few times. I made the mistake of not rinsing it enough when replaced another section of my tank with safe-t-sorb with the blasting sand. The water was a tiny bit cloudy for a few days and I ended doing a water change to help clear it up. It took 2 water changes to finally get it all cleared up.
How would you recommend rinsing it? I've read about people straining it in pillowcases and using buckets, just want to know the most effective way.
Mattb126 is offline  
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 12:49 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 55
5 gallon bucket. Fill it up. Swirl, dump. Rinse and repeat. When you think it's clean, stick the hose in the bucket with the water running and make sure the water spilling over the edges looks crystal clear.
plantsrockmysocks is offline  
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Econde's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 554
Menards has some black blasting sand.. Its a bit finer than the other brands. I am currently using it in my 10 gallon tank.
bbroush and bbroush like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Econde is offline  
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 01:53 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 1,659
It's also available through Harbor Freight.
Econde and Econde like this.
Kubla is offline  
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 02:02 PM
Fat Guy In A Little Coat
 
tatersalad's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Henderson, TX
Posts: 372
Check with places that rent equipment. Alot of places that rent air compressors and sandblasters will have it. I have always bought it from a place like that around here, I never even tried Tractor Supply.
tatersalad is offline  
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 09:10 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 123
Am I the only one who hasn't had a great experience with blasting sand? I got the stuff from menards that Econde is talking about, and I really wish I didn't have it anymore. Thankfully I'll be moving in a month and can remove it when I drain my tank.

It's in my 90gal goldfish tank, and it's a pain to vacuum. Granted, all the poo sits on top, which is nice, but even then it's so fine, I end up sucking so much sand through the python, which isn't great for the hose or the pipes. One of my goldies (a rescue) has had a problem with bottom sitting, and I'm not sure if it's the sitting in general or the sand, but his belly gets pretty scratched up. I have to float him in a colander just to give his tummy a chance to heal up. I wonder how fish like corydoras do good.
Maybe if I had found some that wasn't so fine it would have been better, and my case is obviously not the norm!

As far as rinsing though, I filled up a bucket and constantly had hot water running over it with my hand in there swishing the sand. You can either dump the water and repeat, or just let the water continually overflow the bucket, it'll run clear eventually.
FuzzyMuffin is offline  
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 11:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
natemcnutty's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyMuffin View Post
Am I the only one who hasn't had a great experience with blasting sand? I got the stuff from menards that Econde is talking about, and I really wish I didn't have it anymore. Thankfully I'll be moving in a month and can remove it when I drain my tank.

It's in my 90gal goldfish tank, and it's a pain to vacuum. Granted, all the poo sits on top, which is nice, but even then it's so fine, I end up sucking so much sand through the python, which isn't great for the hose or the pipes. One of my goldies (a rescue) has had a problem with bottom sitting, and I'm not sure if it's the sitting in general or the sand, but his belly gets pretty scratched up. I have to float him in a colander just to give his tummy a chance to heal up. I wonder how fish like corydoras do good.
Maybe if I had found some that wasn't so fine it would have been better, and my case is obviously not the norm!

As far as rinsing though, I filled up a bucket and constantly had hot water running over it with my hand in there swishing the sand. You can either dump the water and repeat, or just let the water continually overflow the bucket, it'll run clear eventually.
You have to keep in mind that there are various grits. Medium to coarse is what you want, and it sounds like what you have is too fine. I got something similar from an industrial supplies warehouse, and I have compaction issues due to it being too fine (their medium meant roughly 40 rather than the roughly 20 of bdbs).

I love the look and ease of planting, but I get what you're saying about vacuuming. I actually like taking a bit of the top

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
natemcnutty is online now  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome