ADA AS and cloudiness? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (16/100%)
ADA AS and cloudiness?

Alright, so I've had the aquasoil (Amazonia) on top of power sand special for a little over a year now in my tank and for the past 6 months or so I've been battling a constant cloudiness in the tank... i've tried everything to get rid of it, while it gets clearer after a water change, within 3 or 4 days it's super cloudy again.

I've tried to figure out other things that could be causing it, been running the tank empty for the last week, ran a diatom filter til the tank ran clear and then today I look in it and it's as bad as ever...

So does this just mean I need to replace it or can I do anything to make it better?
I'll probably get amazonia again but thus far I'm not impressed, I was hoping it'd last longer than this.

Thanks!
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Are you using DIY CO2?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycosa View Post
Are you using DIY CO2?
Nope, not running anything... past week was just the tank with fresh clean water as a kind of control to make sure nothing bad running was culprit... no fish (some shrimp I couldn't catch) and no plants

and it's white, not an algae bloom

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
and it's white, not an algae bloom
That's why I asked about CO2, sounds like you have a bacteria bloom. Using DIY CO2 can sometimes leak the yeast in and cause a bacteria bloom that will turn your water cloudy white. It sounds like a bacteria bloom, since you have had the sand in there a long time, any thing that could leech from the sand should be long gone. This sounds really weird to me if it keeps occuring every few days after a water change would still sound like a bacteria bloom, but what is feeding them, or causing it, I have no idea. Any big disturbances to the bottom before it started? Anything at all change before the onset?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I moved the tank 5 feet across the room, you think that could be it?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 03:18 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I agree it sounds pretty much like a bacteria bloom. Did you try UV?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually, if you emptied the tank to do it, that could be it. When you refilled the tank, you would might have caused a pretty big disturbance on the bottom that released a lot of trapped nutrients for bacteria to feed on. If this is the case, it will remedy itself. Since you aren't growing anything, run some carbon on it to help clean it up, keep up with regular water changes... once per day at 50% won't hurt at all, but try and not disturb the substrate too much when you are doing the water changes. Run an airstone to help raise oxygen levels and get those aerobic bacteria breaking down the remaining nutrients and it should go away within a few days/week.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hmm... sounds like lots of work, I think I'll just replace it lol

entering a planted tank contest with a coworker and want to kick his butt
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexW View Post
hmm... sounds like lots of work, I think I'll just replace it lol

entering a planted tank contest with a coworker and want to kick his butt
Well that would indeed be the easiest option, plus you'll get rid of a years worth of detritus buildup out of that sand at the same time. Don't be surprised if it smells horrible when you dig down into that sand to remove it. I've tested my 'gag-resistance' while removing fine substrates out of mature tanks. Probably a lot of anaerobic smells lurking in there.. maybe even hydrogen sulfide... umm..ya, glad I remembered that. lol

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 06:24 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think it might be the tank, maybe you should just throw it away...

Incidentally, why was it that none of all the pious ever discovered psycho-analysis? Why did it have to wait for a completely godless Jew?
-Sigmund Freud

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Do you vacuum the AS? I think you could cut down on some cloudiness by giving a few good cleanings.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bite me coltrain

@bsmith, no I don't gravel vacuum it, I was recomended not to do that cuz it'll make it fall apart super fast. I skim any detritrus of the top but I do my best to not disrupt the substrate
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Disrupt it and vacuum it. I guarantee you in 1-2 months with doing that 2x a week your woes will be behind you.

I was under the same impression as you. I tried EVERYTHING then after some good advice that was what I did and all was well again.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 07:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I wouldn't gravel vac aquasoil. It's okay to lightly siphon it, but...

Also ADA recommends daily 50% water changes till the water clears. You could also try purigen. Purigen+water changes will be a killer combo.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Or you can try Chemi-Pure. I think that outta clear the water right up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode