Azoo Plant Grower Bed substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
Azoo Plant Grower Bed substrate?

Has anyone tried this substrate out yet? I'm looking for a soil-like substrate to lower my pH as mine is around 7.6 out of the tap.

I read that this substrate is suppose to bring it below 7.0. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also compared with ADA soil, which is stronger? I've heard that ADA soil turns into a muddy substance very quickly.

Price-wise, which would be more economically more feasible to buy and use in a 20g?

Eheim Pimp #351, Classic 2213.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/94%)
I have it in my BT tank. Works great. I didn't even have to rise it to put it in, and it barely clouded my water.

It does bring my pH down a bit, but I dunno about the under 7.0 thing. I personally think it is comparable to ADA, although I have never used ADA soil.

If you are looking to cut expenses, I would suggest using AZOO's substrate. Especially since O is having a sale right now. 2 bags would be enough for your tank.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
How much does it bring your pH down by? Does it also alter the GH and KH of your water chemistry?

Eheim Pimp #351, Classic 2213.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/94%)
Well, my pH is pretty consistent at about 6.9 without co2. But I also used distilled, so that may be a factor as well as the Azoo's. Same when the gH.

Since putting it in, I have noticed my kH levels have dropped.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Its made in the same factory as ADA substrates are. I think ADA sprays some crap on theres after its made tho. I have loved it so far no cloudy and it dropped my PH from around 7.5-.8 to pretty stable around 7.0

That said i am having one major problem with it. Only in my tanks with azoo substrate im getting a strange film over the tops of my tanks. It builds up and when you move your finger through it it flakes up white and you can see it getting circulated around by the current. Some one told me it could be a reaction to dosing iron but i cant figure it out. I started doing 2 water changes a week and it is still building up.

Besides the weird build up all my plants have been growing pretty well in it. It didn't cloud the water at all and barely had any ammonia spikes.

--
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OiZO View Post
Its made in the same factory as ADA substrates are. I think ADA sprays some crap on theres after its made tho. I have loved it so far no cloudy and it dropped my PH from around 7.5-.8 to pretty stable around 7.0

That said i am having one major problem with it. Only in my tanks with azoo substrate im getting a strange film over the tops of my tanks. It builds up and when you move your finger through it it flakes up white and you can see it getting circulated around by the current. Some one told me it could be a reaction to dosing iron but i cant figure it out. I started doing 2 water changes a week and it is still building up.

Besides the weird build up all my plants have been growing pretty well in it. It didn't cloud the water at all and barely had any ammonia spikes.
I remember reading something about not dosing Plantex CSM+B (iron) and KH2PO4 (phosphate) at the same time, it will form iron phosphate, which is almost impossible to dissolve in water. Maybe that could be the film?

Try putting Purigen in your filter, maybe that will clear it up.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTycoonMaster View Post
I remember reading something about not dosing Plantex CSM+B (iron) and KH2PO4 (phosphate) at the same time, it will form iron phosphate, which is almost impossible to dissolve in water. Maybe that could be the film?

Try putting Purigen in your filter, maybe that will clear it up.

It is a protein film. My tank has it too. I really haven't found anything to get rid of it for sure so I just change my water every week and deal with it. I'm not going to buy a protein skimmer.

But if you wanted to try this since your not injecting co2 it may help you out.

EDIT: It looks like a bag of the Azoo substrate weight 12lbs I know that AS weight more then that probly closer to 15-18 lbs. So unlessyou buy from Orlando AS is actually cheaper.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Trd t ╦σ R├r.

PTrader: (362/100%)

Cheers!!!
J
"The future's uncertain, and the end is always near."
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Trd t ╦σ R├r.

PTrader: (362/100%)
Quote:
Or you can Use Micron Filter cartridge. Try to get some Poly fiber from Walmart or any Hobby store! Way lot cheaper then you buy in Petco, Petsmart etc......

Cheers!!!
J
"The future's uncertain, and the end is always near."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 12:01 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Quote:
I am not so sure about that
AS has a completely different composition, and I'm almost 100% sure about this. AS contains peat, where Azoo doesn't. This is why there is an ammonium (NH4) spike with AS, but not with Azoo. I'm pretty sure that this also means that the Azoo does not lower pH as much as AS.
If you want raw pH lowering power, go with AS Africana. I think that it lowers pH more than Amazonia and all of the other ADA substrates.

-Chris

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
To eliminate protein film, a surface skimmer is the best option for FW tanks, not a protien skimmer.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode