anyone bought substrate from www.bigalsonline.com? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
anyone bought substrate from www.bigalsonline.com?

i'm wondering .. have any devoted plant tank members bought products from this website?( www.bigalsonline.com) is it a reliable website?..i'm not sure if this topic should be in here. anyway i saw the price of flourite. it's pretty cheap...$9.99 per bag rather then $14.99 at www.drsfostersmith.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 06:52 PM

I have bought many things from them, but not substrate. Not sure how much shipping would be for smoething that heavy. But yes, very good place to deal with IMO...

Philip
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

thanks dock. yeah the substrate from that website is on sale. a little high on shipping but it still cheaper then drsmith website.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Make sure and get a shipping quote on the substrate before you order though. I live on the left coast and shipping was something like $11 a bag which makes it more expensive than the LFS.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 08:43 PM

Yeah, the LFS here sells it for $25/bag. I think you could still get it from them shipped for cheaper than anywhere else.. But as Rex said, get a quote first

Philip
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 10:12 PM

The price is right and the place has been great with me. Very fast and reliable. I usually call the order in(toll free). Then you will know exactly what it will cost.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 04:11 PM

get a quote...because that extra $10 per bag is in addition to their normal shipping charges. It may still be cheaper than going to the LFS and having to pay sales tax though. I just want you to know all the 'hidden' shipping charges.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 04:50 PM

My LFS cut me a deal when I needed several bags of flourite at once if they could order it for me. So they added my 4 bags to their weekly order stock order and called me when it came in. That way they didn't have to tie up any shelf space, their inventory, etc and it built some good will with the LFS. I looked at several places online and it seemed that the price that *I* could find for it delivered was around $17-20/bag. The LFS was in that range after they discounted it.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
I just received two bags of Flourite from Bigals to NYC and the shipping was $5.95 plus $11.16 for oversized shipping. It arrived fast.

Andrew Cribb
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 01:49 AM

if you live in the midwest, petsolutions.com (Ohio) will match that price and shipping may be cheaper .... every time I order from them (before 2pm), the stuff is shipped that day and arrives at my doorstep the next ... think proximity!
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 04:59 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Yup, shipping was one of the factors that I had to contend w/when I ordered my equipment from them awhile back (picked up my Eheim and the Hagen CO2 kit from them). As for the fluorite, I found it cheaper to pick it up from my local fish store, which sells them for $11.99 a bag.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

mann too bad most of the lfs here dont have flourite or enough equipment for plant tanks. suck....and worst of all most of them dont know jack about plant tanks.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 03:39 PM

most LFS's don't deal a lot with planted tanks, especially the high light, co2 injected ones. its a niche of the aquarium hobby, and the small LFS's have a hard enough time competing with petco, petsmart and wal-mart...they cannot afford to carry a bunch of regulators and CF fixtures.
I know i know more about plants than the owner of my favorite LFS...and unfortunately 90% of what he can order for me, I can find 25% cheaper online, including shipping. But I buy from him when I can, and keep a good relationship with him. I was able to get 4 bags of flourite for $15 a piece when I setup my 75gallon tank. SeaChem had a retailer sale, and he ordered extra bags for me since it helped on his freight charges.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 04:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Drifting from online sources into buying locally, I surprised no one mentioned that PetsMart sells flourite. @ $25/bag it isn't much better. BUT, many and I included have brought in printed internet ads and they do price match them. Like ordering online without the shipping.

Actually I'm really surprised no one mentioned this route. Is it a moral crime for us to get flourite at $9.99/bag + no shipping?
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 10:45 PM

Well.. The one problem with my local Petsmart is they only carry one or two bags at a time. I don't think it's a big seller with them. I am sure they would probably order a larger quantity if I ask the right person. I am in the market for about 6 bags myself... Would like to find a shop that has enough so I only have to make one trip. Maybe if I am lucky, I can find 6 bags between my lfs and petsmart.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode