eco-complete - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
eco-complete

hi i want to add eco-complete to replace my play sand substrate in a planted tank. the tanks 29 gallons so is 2 bags enough? also is could i just dump it in with the water still in the tank? the tanks already got plants, 9 neon tetras, 2 otocinclus, and a pearl gourami so i dont think i want to drain it. will it cloud the water? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a 36 gallon bowfront that I recently redid. To start, I had one goldfish several Amano shrimp and a few nerite snails. I decided I wanted plants (yes, goldfish, shrimp, and plants - she is really good with plants and the shrimp). I decided to go with eco-complete and the gravel I had in there.

I started by removing most of the objects so I could catch everyone easier. After placing everything in a 5 gallon bucket with tank water, I removed the fauna to individual buckets (of tank water).

I then started to gravel vac and water change (I took out about 60%). I scooped out the gravel and poured it into the bucket with the eco-complete. I mixed well (including the water in the bag - no rinsing).

Once the substrate was in I placed in new objects and the old ones I was to reuse. I then started putting in clean water and planting at the same time (I had a friend helping). Once the tank was set up with everything except the fauna, I turned on the filters (two HOB aqueon 30) and let it run for about an hour before I returned fauna to tank.

I should note I did had a spare bucket of tank water that I constantly replenished the holding bucket's water with.

Also, I did have a small ammonia spike for a day or two and lost one shrimp (surprisingly the one orange shrimp [caridina propinqua] survived). Everyone is happy and Nuke (the Shubunkin) has eaten a few plants but left the rest alone. The shrimp and snails are alive and well.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Re: eco-complete

I have 60 lbs of eco-complete in my 29 and think I could possibly use another 10 or so.

S.Steve

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Re: eco-complete

BTW, I'm in Olympia. Howdy neighbor!

S.Steve
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Algae Grower

I just removed pool filter sand and put in Eco-complete yesterday. Here is the thread.

I put 40 lbs (two bags) in my 29 gallon and I think it's perfect. It's 2" deep.

It is a dramatic change between the two substrates. Eco-complete is a lot bigger than I was expecting.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I have eco compete...general rule of thumb is that you use 2# per gallon.

Eheim Pimp #423
My Riparium:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
eco-complete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode