Malaysian Trumpet Snails in acid water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Malaysian Trumpet Snails in acid water

My ph sits at about 6.7-6.8. Will this be alright for a population of malaysian trumpet snails, to keep the sand aerated? Will it have the effect of keeping the population under control, or will I just end up with a heap of dead snails?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Algae Grower

My exerience it is not the PH it is the water softness that effects snails shells. They need calcium. I am wondering if you can almost buy Reef Calcium Supplements and add it to a freshwater tank for your inverts. Anyone had experience with this?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
Just add some cuttlefish bone to the back, you should be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
For reference, a pH of 6.8 is less acidic than a cup of distilled water sitting on a countertop. It can really only be called "acidic" by definition instead of any measurable reactions.

SunSun Pimp #10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 29G, 130W PC lighting, Red Sea CO2 on 20# tank, SunSun 303B, Custom ferts
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I used to be a "Snailor" and was always trying to keep my ph, GH, KH as high as possible to grow my beautiful snails.
MTS are tough little suckers and they will handle 6.0 pH freshwater or 8.6 saltwater if allowed to acclimate over months. I've boiled gravel and had the little suckers survive.
You fish food has calcium in it and the fish don't use most of it. The MTS will eat the poo and get the calcium.
I never had any trouble with starving MTS.
They might get some pitting in the shells but they will still do a good job of aerating your substrate.
The first MTS I ever got is at least 8 years old now. He has been in soft, hard, and brackish tanks. The last 4 years he has been living in planted betta bowls with a pH of 6. He has outlived 2 bettas and does a good job of cleaning up after the fish. He is 1.5 inches long, half an inch thick at the operculum, weighs about 1/2 an ounce, and has the end of his spiral broken off.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode