Keeping sand and laterite separate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Arrow Keeping sand and laterite separate?

hi all,

I am starting up my 60 gallon soon. I got a lot of the components squared away. I will be using pressurized c02, the lighting and filtration issues are worked out. Now on to substrate! I will be using fine sand as my substrate. Should i worry about placing laterite underneath? I heard through lurking around here that it eventually works its way to the top. I definitely don't want that. How do i keep the layers from mixing? or should i not worry about conditioning the substrate and just feed my plants via the water column? i want to grow foreground plants. HC, dwarf hairgrass, glosso, or maybe a riccia carpet. TIA

-Rey-

PS: I want to grow them emersed and let the runners form the carpet before filling and stocking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

An additional question for anyone interested to answer: in a set up like the one Mr BrownThumb (ehem) has described, would moving the tank (moving house in a year or two) cause a substrate catastrophe?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I am not a fan of laterite for several reasons. It breaks down, it works its way up, and doesn't last particularly long. Sand a quality root fertilizer(ahem!) will do the trick with good column dosing. There is something to be said for a quality sediment(either high nutrient soil or nutrient enriched with fertilizer) and quality water column dosing.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
I am not a fan of laterite for several reasons. It breaks down, it works its way up, and doesn't last particularly long. Sand a quality root fertilizer(ahem!) will do the trick with good column dosing. There is something to be said for a quality sediment(either high nutrient soil or nutrient enriched with fertilizer) and quality water column dosing.
pm'd

Tags
carpet, laterite, riccia, sand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode