depth of substrate!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
depth of substrate!!

my new tank is 10.4"(w) x 18"(L) x 10.8"(H), about 8g. i decide to use flourite and sand for my substrate. wats the minimun depth of substrate for mt tank???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 05:36 AM

Go for 2.5-3". You can just do 2" on the foreground and a bit thicker at the back. 3" is the recommended depth but it may look silly in a small tank.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 11:55 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
It all depends on what you want to plant in there...Depth of substrate is not set in stone... if you want root feeders then 3" is the norm, otherwise you can get away with less.
How about this... How deep should it be if you are doing a tank of ferns and moss ?

Since my tanks are ever changing and I never know what I am going to try next I like keep 3 or more inches in them and with age it only gets better do to mulm and bacteria ! This is where the "tank plan" comes into play...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 06:24 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
3 inches in a 10 inch tall tank? Hmmm, I don't know

For a tank this size I would do about 1 inch in the front and about 1.5 inches in the back. It's not like you are going to grow a bunch of trees for many years there, and many aquatic plants use their roots to anchor themselves, but take up nutrients through their leaves.

Yes, you need a deeper substrate to grow Echinodorus osiris or bleheri, but that isn't a good idea for an 8 gal tank.

Anyway... that's what I think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 05:56 AM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Yeah, it's possible and you'll get amazing root growth out of it. Crypts love it. Currently running a 4" substrate depth on my 10G.

Eric

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 12:45 AM

I run 3-4" on my 75. Might look a little overdone in a 10G though

Philip

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode