best place to get substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
best place to get substrate

I'm setting up a new tank next week, and want to know where I should get my substrate. My current tank is just sand and I've successfully grown many stems and a couple rooted: crypts, chain swords, amazon swords in a 2.5-3 wpg setup aided with seachem fluorish.

This new set up will be co2d, 70+ gal, and haven't even purchased the tank or lights yet, but back to the question at hand, where can I get good substrate for cheap? maybe ecocomplete?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
lfs, usually locally based can carry eco-complete, and if not, can get it. otherwise bay of e has decent biddings and buy it nows.

"The odds of winning are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Your backyard!

If you have time before setting up the tank, then I would definitely consider using mineralized topsoil, capped with something like turface. Mineralized soil is an amazing substrate, full of everything your plants could want, and it's free except for a bit of your time. There's plenty of information about it on this site if you do a quick search. It's hard to get much cheaper than free.

That being said, if you're set on something tried and true, and made specifically for an aquarium, then many LFS carry specialized substrate like Eco-Complete, Flourite, etc. They're all about the same price though, in my experience, give or take a couple bucks.

Feeling adventurous? Maybe check out my current
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 06:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
drsfostersmith.com still have a flat shipping fee no matter the weight or size of order and no tax. So if you are looking for the more nutriant rich substrates this is a good way to go. Also they generally charge 3-5 bucks less per bag than most local pet stores.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 06:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Petco has Eco-Complete for $15.99 a bag and free shipping if you go over $50.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Turface Pro League. A single 50lb bag would do your tank twice and all for a cost of ~$10. Google Turface and you can find a distributer near you. They have a Natural clay colored and if your lucky they may have the Charcoal color. Don't use the Red as it will wash off.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (54/100%)
Aquarium Plants . com substrate is very nice and plants seem to grow real good in it. It is much cheaper than eco complete or flourite.

38gal. Tetras Forest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10gal. Jungle Low Tech.

10gal. Planted Aquarium, 38gal. Planted Aquarium.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Go to a garden centre that also sells pind equipment and supplies. Get a couple of bags of POND SOIL/AQUATIC COMPOST.

It's designed for growing aquatic plants, costs a third of the price of those aquarium substrates, requires no dosing of god knows what powders and potions as you would with top soil from a garden, and a couple of bags should do a 75 gallon no trouble.

I've had my 30 gal running with pond soil capped with sand for 7 years and my aponogentons and Echinodorus' still flower regularly for starters. I add absolutely no ferts to my tank and I grow stuff just fine using bog standard cheap Pond soil.

Itll save you a fair bit of cash and time.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Honeythorn

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode