Flourite? Whats it like - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flourite? Whats it like

Hi i am thinking of buying a load of flourite for a new set-up, i live in the uk and i has only recently became easy to come by, whats it like? does it cloud water etc....... I am used to using the dennerle type system with lots of quartz (small grain) over the "soil" with heating cables.

Eheim Pimp No 246 Eheim 2324 Thermo
Remember we dont keep fish or plants, we keep the water they live in......

10gal, 48 watts CF, Co2 with PH controller. Under substrate heating.

Graham. Glasgow, Scotland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Has anyone tried this stuff?

http://217.112.90.103/eshops/cat.asp...oup=Substrates

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
Flourite is popular.

Treated carefully, it does not cause clouding. But you would do well to do a search on this board and some others to learn about planted tank enthusiasts' experiences and related advice.

My personal advice is to place it in a bucket, squeeze out an old filter over it, add a little water to cover, and let it dry out completely over several days. It can become a little smelly during this process. When completely dry, lay out on newspaper to make sure, place in your aquarium, plant and fill carefully with water.

Other people repeatedly wash Flourite to rid it of dust. It requires a lot of washing. By using the method I have detailed above, you will find that the small dust-sized particles bind to the main grains.

I also add some coarse silica sand to Flourite. Flourite by itself is a bit coarse, IMO. The sand makes it easier for plants such as Eleocharis, Marsilea etc to establish roots.

Andrew Cribb

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

my main concern that it was to course to lets some plants with runners pick through it easily, i'll maybe mix it with something else.......

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 04:48 PM

I've rinsed it a little, I've rinsed it alot ..... either way, it'll cloud up at first. after a day, it's pretty clear. I, personally, prefer the look of Eco-complete but the flourite works well too.

It's got lots of "sharp-edged" pieces which I learned when one jammed under my fingernail .... other then that, it's all good.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Once I figured out the secret to washing Flourite I have never had a problem with it clouding the tank. Also I place a plate over the substrate and slowly add the water. Works pretty well. I can wash a bag of Flourite in about 10-15 minutes MAX. I agree cutting it with up to 50% coarse sand (based on depth not weight) works quite well.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i'll try it, it only been easy to come by for a short time and no one stocks it, i have managed to find a online site which does it in the UK.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 01:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak
My flourite looks good, 100% flourite, 2 bags of regular flourite and 1 bag of flourite red, I mixed them evanly. I never washed the bags (should NOT do this ha) and from planting plants my water is cloudy for like 2 days afterwards lol
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 09:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
from my understanding you are not suppose to was flourite? Washes away the "good stuff"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 11:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Flourite is good stuff, if you wash it good and use a plate on substrate to fill, there will be almost no cloud at all, crystal clear in a few hours
I have a couple of tanks with Flourite/sand no complaints, I actually like it better than Eco Complete, but thats a personal preference thingy

Craig

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
from my understanding you are not suppose to was flourite? Washes away the "good stuff"
What "good stuff" would that be? The dust that can require a diatom filter to get rid of? You can't wash away the iron. But you can wash away the dust. If you wash the Flourite correctly you will retain all the "fines" but rid yourself of the dust. And it can be very very dusty.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 11:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
What "good stuff" would that be? The dust that can require a diatom filter to get rid of? You can't wash away the iron. But you can wash away the dust. If you wash the Flourite correctly you will retain all the "fines" but rid yourself of the dust. And it can be very very dusty.
Well from my personal experience, i cant say that washing or not washing Flourite has made a difference in my plants, as far as "good stuff" is concerned. I was always told that washing it was not needed. The dust does cause the water to be cloudy, but it usually goes away in a day.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 04:09 PM

but if you don't wash is Marc, it'll come back with a wicked vengence whenever you do anything in your tank.

Plus the last 3 bags of flourite I used had large dirt clods in them. Adding a 1/4cup of mud to my precious tank would make Malkore a very angry plant geek.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 06:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

malkore- yes that is very true. I was just always told not to wash it, so i never did. after a couple of water changes it was alot better...so i guess you guys are right- save your self the trouble and wash it out.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 10:22 AM
Algae Grower

I have recently used onyx (by Seachem), but has also used flourtie in another tank. So far its proved to be great. I have a difficult time growing hairgrass in pure flourite because it was coarse. If you are going to use flourite, you may want to mix it with a finer substrate as well. And everyone is right... its a pain to clean.. not your ordinary gravel.. but seems to be worth it in results!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode