Ambitious Plan - abit unconventional. Substrate questions and feedback pls:D - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ambitious Plan - abit unconventional. Substrate questions and feedback pls:D

OK.
my tank is a 1200L. its big, i dont want to fully plant it, main reason is that i rent and if i move, i will have to uproot the plants, and it will be a nightmare.

So, my novel idea is this: -

I will construct 'pots' Glass pots.
sizes are as follows.
15x15x15cm -
30 cm length x 10cm wide x 12 cmhigh
triangle (I want the triangle 15 high and 25 cms on each length)

The reaosn for this is so when i move, i can just pick up the pots, and move them with no uprooting and disturbance. Untill i purchase my own home, this will be my plant.

I want to use Seachem fluorite - here are my questions
  1. i hear that fluorite absorbs nutrients from the water and stores it for the plants. In this case - does it need much circulation under neath. having normal substrate set up, how do you get flow underneath or does it need minimal flow?
  2. if it DOES need abit of circulation in and around the substrate, i was thinking of drilling several holes in each pot, mainly at the sides so water can flow through. Will that work?
  3. i am told that the pots may restrict the roots. but really - these pots are big. quite deep - should be ok? or should work?
  4. Do i need to drill the holes on the sides or just having a pot with the only opening at the top be sufficient for nutrients to flow through fromt he water?
  5. if it is sufficient, then will it actualy improve and make a difference IF i do drill the hole son the glass pots?
the glass pots are abit quirky, unconventional but i need to make it work in the pots. the tank will not have a massive planting. just 6 pots in total. but i will also have some anubias nana and java ferns on some wood inside the tank.

Also. another substrate question.
The fluorite, will that absorb nitrate from the water to feed the plants?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
If you're not going to plant it much and are using just anubias and java fern, 1). replanting isn't that big of deal in the first place, with a tank of that size, it should be the least of your concerns... and 2). those plants don't really root in the substrate anyways (they are epiphytes), meaning they just need something to grow on. Also, they are super easy to keep. No need for flourite, pots, or much fertilizers... just tie them to wood or rocks. In that sense, they will already be 'portable' if you move.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Uprooting a tank does not take that much time. In the even that your moving, you will likely have a little time to uproot everything.

But, on the other end of the spectrum, if you deadset on the pots, then go for it. There are plenty of people who have done this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

a suggestion on the pots, I am not sure why you would want to make glass pots, but if you are just looking for a type of pot that would work, check garden/pond stores, they sell plastic mesh pots/baskets that are to be used in ponds and would allow water movement throughout the pots / root systems.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i wanted glass cos it would look really slick
but problem is that when the algae grows on it, it looks like wood anyways.
so decided to go wtih the basket things from garden stores.
they look good and with plenty of holes to circulate under the roots.

How does fluorite absorbe nutrients from water?
does it absorb a bit of nitrate too?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I'd suggest you start with a normal sized tank and learn a bit before trying a 1200L.

I can already smell disaster with the questions you are asking...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well, the outlay is quite small to be honest.
wouldnt call it disaster - if the plants die, then they die.
its more willt he pots work?
but i am not going with a mesh type garden pot especially made for water plants.

hwo bout my questions about fluorite?
anyone?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Algae Grower

Told you 'henny'

I think by mentioning the words "if the plants die, then they die" you have given many on here a coronary

ρĦǿΣŋІΧ
My tank -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode