substrate question... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
substrate question...

Is it alright if i add another sand substrate to the a little bit planted tank? i currently have eco-complete red. After this mix, will it be harder to clean the tank with siphone-like gravel vacuum? Also, if it's okay to mix could you recommend good and very cheap sand for me? does half of the tank: eco complete and the other half: sand work? i want to give better environment for my cories so badly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 03:43 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you add sand to your current Eco Complete substrate, the two will eventually mix (with the Eco Complete coming to the top).

It should not be significantly more difficult to clean your tank, though you may not be able to do deep gravel vacuuming.

As for cheap sand, pool filter sand always works.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Build a barrier with some small rocks and expanding foam filler for ponds (it is black, and is fish safe.)
Make an enclosure near the front of the tank, any shape you want.
Just be sure it is sealed off from the EC.

Then fill the enclosure with pool filter sand, and the rest of the tank is EC.

When substrates are different weights the heavier one tends to sift itself through the rocks and ends up on the bottom of the tank, while the lighter material can drift over the rock barrier and end up on top of the other material.

I have made rock barriers without any foam or caulking, and the materials end up mixing, with the sand (it was heavier) seeping through and under the barrier.
When I used the foam the sand stayed in place. The other substrate still drifts around in the tank a bit and lands on top of the sand, but it is fairly easy to clean it off. (The other substrate in my tanks is Soil Master Select, a lot lighter than EC) I would think EC would stay in place pretty well.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No!!! I want the sand on top to see my cories being more active and to look my tank more pristine.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite View Post
No!!! I want the sand on top to see my cories being more active and to look my tank more pristine.
Unfortunately, if you place the sand on top of your Eco Complete, over time, it will inevitably mix with the Eco Complete.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Unfortunately, if you place the sand on top of your Eco Complete, over time, it will inevitably mix with the Eco Complete.
More amount of sand still goes to bottom? how do i make it stay on top?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
More amount of sand still goes to bottom? how do i make it stay on top?
The thing is that they will inevitably mix, with most of the sand ending up on the bottom. I don't think there is really any way to prevent them from mixing, if you just want to have the Eco Complete on the bottom with the sand on top.

Anthony

and

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i don't really mind if they are mixed or not as long as the sand goes top and plants grow well there.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

my 20Ib eco substrate isn't even higher than 1inch on bottom of the tank right now.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i just bought a Instant Aquarium sand and put it in the tank(eco-complete red) then, the water turned to white color. I am cycling with quietflow30 filter. Will it purify the cloud water completely as time goes??? if it does, how long will it take to add these fishes that were in the tank?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 01:30 AM

Did you just add the sand to the aquarium as it was full of water? That is probably why your tank has turned white (cloudy).

Eventually, your filter will remove the cloudiness that is caused by the fine particulate sand. However, be careful, as too much sand in the filter could ruin the impeller.

As for how long it will take to clear up, it depends. If you add some filter floss into your filter, it may clear up a little faster.

Anthony

and

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i did 50% water change twice and after few hours the cloudy water got a bit better hopefully sunny tomorrow~ i love how cories fight each other with their territory(my artificial ceremic cave). They do so well with mix of eco-complete(20Ib) and instant aquarium sand(10Ib).
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
i don't really mind if they are mixed or not as long as the sand goes top and plants grow well there.
Over time the sand will work its way to the bottom. Whatever has the smallest grains will always end up on the bottom.

Sand is completely inert so the Eco is a better substrate for plants as far as nutrient content.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode