eco-complete red... not very successful... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
eco-complete red... not very successful...

i replaced tank substrate from gravel to eco-complete red that i bought yesterday. At first, my paleatus cories were really active and trying to find whatever waste on the bottom unlike my panda cories(almost they were as good as rock hard statue but they were active in the gravel though). Then, next morning... one of my pygmaeus cories died and the active paleatus cories are now swimming up and down like crazy even though they are not mid-water swimmers... what's happening to my tank. i just tested my water w/ jungle 6 tests in one strip quick dip yesterday and came as (i might be wrong) nitrate: somewhere between 0-20(safe) nitrite between 1-3(stress) hardness: 300 i think(very hard) chlorine: 0(safe) Akalinity: between 120-180(ideal) ph: between 7.8-8.4(akaline) i think the problem is water but what should i do to reduce them? i have acid buffer and alkaline buffer(seachem) how do i use them? i am not very knowledgable with ph stuff can anyone help with this please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Test strips are not very acurate iI kow N.J.has some pretty hard water what are your parrameters out of the tap also eco-complete raised the ph in my tank form 7 to 7.5
it took about a month of steady water changes to even it out
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Algae Grower

By the sounds of it you removed a LARGE portion of the biological filtration when you removed all of the old substrate.

You did not post your complete water specs. Since you have NitrIte in your water you probably also have ammonia as well, which means your tank is cycling again. This is most likely the cause of death and stress on your fish. Corydoras are not hardy enough to endure the nitrogen cycle. The only fish I have found to be resistant to this is Zebra Danios and White Cloud Mountain Minnows. If I were you I would do a large(50%) water change and monitor the parameters closely. NitrIte and Ammonia are very harmful to the health and well being of your fish. THis might take doing a 50% change every couple of days for a couple weeks. If you are not commited to keeping pristine water quality I would return the fish to the store until your aquarium is cycled.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'd guess you've got two issues going on; Eco can raise and buffer pH and hardness so there's a good chance that your water parameters are being altered- not good for the fish.

2nd as SirKappa already noted, chances are excellent that replacing the substrate has triggered a minicycle in your tank.

The good news- lots of water changes should help with both issues.

I'd start doing 50% 2x a day till your ammonia and nitrite both bottom back out and remain stable at 0ppm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKappa View Post
By the sounds of it you removed a LARGE portion of the biological filtration when you removed all of the old substrate.

You did not post your complete water specs. Since you have NitrIte in your water you probably also have ammonia as well, which means your tank is cycling again. This is most likely the cause of death and stress on your fish. Corydoras are not hardy enough to endure the nitrogen cycle. The only fish I have found to be resistant to this is Zebra Danios and White Cloud Mountain Minnows. If I were you I would do a large(50%) water change and monitor the parameters closely. NitrIte and Ammonia are very harmful to the health and well being of your fish. THis might take doing a 50% change every couple of days for a couple weeks. If you are not commited to keeping pristine water quality I would return the fish to the store until your aquarium is cycled.
i just finished 50% water change. Will do that like you said thanks~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode