Flourite Black cloudy water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Flourite Black cloudy water

Hello Everyone- First post on the forum. Recently upgraded my 55 gallon tank to a 75 and with the switch decided to go with 7 bags of Flourite Black. Rinsed it to the point where the rinse water looked quite clear, but I'm coming up on two weeks now and the water is STILL not crystal clear. Anything in particular I can do, other than wait it out and let it eventually clear via weekly WC's? I wrote to Seachem and they suggested hooking up a HOB filter and running filter floss. I found the Flourite Black to be a littler cloudier than advertised!
TIA,
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/92%)
That's wierd- when I used flourite black in a new tank I hardly rinsed at all and had no clouding issues. Granted, it was only a 26gal., not a 75, but that still seems odd to me. If you have some kind of mechanical filtration going (HOB or canister) you should see improvement pretty quickly. Seachem also makes a product called "Clarity" designed to help the process, but since they apparently didn't recommend it to you, maybe they don't think it will help. Anyway, good luck with it, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new 75!

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook." -William James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They actually did recommend the "clarity" product. I'm familiar with these flocculants, and would rather not use them if I don't have to. I figure that with enough water changes it will eventually clear. Maybe I will set up an HOB with floss and see what happens. I currently run an Eheim 2215 in there.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/92%)
Andy- the fine filter pad in the Eheim should do the job just as well as floss in an HOB. I guess WC and patience is the best way to proceed.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
That clouding seems excessive to me, too. I've had Flourite take a few days to clear up, but never several weeks, and that's even when I first used the old version and didn't know to rinse it at all...

You might try a micron pad in your filter.

How positive are you that it's not something else like a bacteria bloom or green water?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've seen greenwater, and I know it's not that. Lights on for 9 hours daily. As for bacteria bloom, when I switched tanks, I had the Eheim running on the old 55 for a couple of weeks to seed the filter media before transferring it to the 75. Maybe I overstated the degree of cloudiness. I can certainly see to the back of the tank, and can also see across the 4 foot length. It's just not crystal clear. There's a murkiness to it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

I'll get a bacteria bloom on my 90gal sometimes even just from cleaning both of the filters at the same time- and that tank's been going 2 years. Disturb em too much or give them some new space to colonize and that's all it takes sometimes.

I bet it's a bacteria bloom, they're busy colonizing your new substrate, etc.

Know anyone with a portable UV sterilizer you could borrow? That would confirm/deny that possibility right quick.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Laura Lee- I don't have access to a UV Sterilizer. However, if the guess of bacteria bloom is correct, what might be my timeframe before things clear up. (based on your experience)
Andy
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

It's hard to say, really... on my 90gal it's gone in less than 24 hours, but like I said that's a well-established tank.

Have you checked your water params? If you've got any plant decay from the plants acclimating over to the new tank that might be fueling a bacteria bloom.

If the water is clearer today than it was a few days or a week ago then I'd take that as a good sign.

You might also try a bag of Purigen in your filter; that would help strip the water of any excess organics that could be underlying a bloom. (I keep Purigen in all my filters, I love that stuff! )

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
It took my flourite over a week to clear up. I was doing water changes every day and filtering like you wouldn't believe. I did not wash mine very well and it was a mistake. I used a water clarifier // Flocculant to help clear the water and it still took a while. I think part of it was a bacterial bloom as it started to go away rapidly when I added a few fish and a small amount of carbon. Flocculants will also keep your water cloudy if you cannot filter out the particle sizes you need to. Try packing your filter with floss to make the surface area larger and the pore size smaller and just taking it out and rinsing it everyday.

Have you ever seen a French Ninja? NO because they are sneaky.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Digital Send a message via Yahoo to Digital Send a message via Skype™ to Digital
Clarity is crap, never worked for me.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
You might also try a bag of Purigen in your filter; that would help strip the water of any excess organics that could be underlying a bloom. (I keep Purigen in all my filters, I love that stuff! )
+1 Purigen is awesome!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode