Anaerobic Gas? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anaerobic Gas?

Just planning ahead, but I'm planning on a full carpet of dwarf hairgrass in my tank. I'm assuming i can't gravel vac a carpet of dwarf hairgrass with flourite substrate, how do i prevent anaerobic gasses in my tank? I have a dwarf puffer so MTS's are not gonna work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 05:47 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
The roots of the plants should be able to reach down into the substrate and help prevent the buildup of anaerobic spots.

However, this is assuming you keep your substrate to a "normal" depth, and not try a 12 cm+ depth.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 06:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I never vacuumed my flourite and had no issues. but you can just put your python pipe on the surface and some junk will eventually come up

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
Dwarf puffers cant eat adult MTS most of the time.

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

yea, but their shells are so hard it could break their beaks
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 12:40 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
worry about it when and if you have it..

Poking the substrate with a stick will solve the issue.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Idk, i always think its a good idea to plan ahead. Dont think theres anything wrong with asking questions so you prepare ahead of time. I'll make sure to get a poking stick
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 02:37 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsandwitch View Post
Dwarf puffers cant eat adult MTS most of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Albright View Post
yea, but their shells are so hard it could break their beaks
I don't see what the conflict is here.

Back on topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
worry about it when and if you have it..

Poking the substrate with a stick will solve the issue.
This will also work too. Make sure you don't poke a hole in all the anaerobic spots, and release too much H2S at once, however.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The conflict with the MTS is that dwarf puffers try to eat any snail in the tank,and the mts' shell is so hard that if my dwarf puffer was too stubborn it could injure itself by cracking its beak. Not a big chance of that happening, but I like to be on the safe side with Megatron. Just out of curiosity if i have a full carpet could the hairgrass absorb the gas, or is that not a possibility.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
If you've got a good carpet going and the substrate isn't too deep I wouldn't worry about anaerobic spots.

Yes, plant roots can help prevent anaerobic spots from developing as they're always maintaining some circulation.

The biggest concern would probably be if you use some large rock/driftwood pieces, as it would be easy to get an anaerobic spot under those.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 05:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (89/100%)
I never worried about anaerobic gas build up. I've had some absolutely foul pockets erupt while breaking down tanks, like exit-the-room bad, but plants and fish flourished in the tank when it was running. And this was in deep sand under the weight of my rock heavy scapes.

I think the only way it could potentially be a problem is if you tried to totally trash/re-arrange the entire hardscape with livestock in the tank; which isn't very smart or safe anyways. Just moving plants around isn't going to set off any bombs that destroy your tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode