Keep sand or switch to Eco Complete? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Keep sand or switch to Eco Complete?

Quite a few month my 29G was just a normal aquarium with sand substrate and i decided to start doing a planted tank so i uped my lighting and got a whole bunch of plants and got a Co2 unit but i keept my sand. Should i just keep it and use root tabs or should i remove it and use Eco complete? Im gonna be making an order from Foster and Smith in a couple days anyway. And if i do switch how long after could i put my fish back in? My filters are a AC 50 and a Rena XP2 which have been on the tank for a while and i will be useing most of the old water except for what i would take out for a WC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 04:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I put a layer of greensand, bone meal, kelp meal, and top soil under my sand and love how it grows. I dont use root tabs. I didnt dose but I started dosing due to algae.

Saved me some cash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 05:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
I just (today!) removed my sand and will be going with eco-complete.
I'll just put in the eco, plant it, and run the current running filters. Will let it run for a day, check/test the water and if all is ok re-add my fish. Really disliked the sand...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was thinking of switching to sand... what is so bad about it?

50 gallon planted aquarium journal

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

sand has no nutrients for plants.

I switched to it but as I stated I put ferts under it as well as some soil. I like saving money =)

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
I have a 29 gallon and i have 60LBS of eco complete in the tank. I would reccomend wasting acouple more bucks and order ADA Amazonia 1. Soil lowers the ph and alot of people recoomend it. I have regular pfs in my 10 gallon shrimp tank and im gonna switch it to either amazonia 1 or eco complete. I would switch it if i were you.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

I used flourite before. It was good.

But I spent 30 bucks on all my ferts and sand for my 50 gallon with a 50lb bag of sand, lol I wasnt going to spend a penny more

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to chuukus
I have used Flourite, ADA as1, Eco Complete and different types of sand. IMO Eco Complete is horrible for growing plants. The bags of Eco Complete had huge chunks the size of golf balls also there was alot of particle of white crushed coral mixed in that raised my hardness it was awfull trying to pick out the crushed coral.

I just thought I would share my experience with you before you go spending $25-$30 a bag for something you might regret buying.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 07:01 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey guys, brand new to the forum so I'm hoping you won't mind helping me out with a simmilar question.

I have a partially setup planted tank. It's a 55gallon, freshwater angelfish tank. I don't have many fish in it yet, but the cycling is complete and is ready to add many more fish.

My question is: I used a large amount of sand as the substrate, and it's good quality sand, but obviously as someone else stated it has no nutrients.
Is there a way to keep the sand in the tank and somehow add nutrients?
I had the idea to buy some flourite or some other nutrient rich substrate and load it into a turkey baster and actually inject it halfway into the sand.

I'm just dreading the idea of ripping out all that sand just to make more nutrients.
Also: I'm going to be attempting a dwarf hairgrass carpet on most of this tank's floor, so I suppose it's important to keep that in mind.

Thanks in advance for your replies!!
Sorry I sound silly, i'm very new to planted tanks. So far all the plants I have in the tank grow well. I dose with liquid flourish fert.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
You can use straight sand if you want, you just have to be sure to supply nutrients either through root tabs or dosing the water column.

However, IME, carpeting plants fill in much more quickly and thicker in substrates that DO have at least some nutrient content.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode