Natural Looking mud type sand.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Natural Looking mud type sand....

Does it exist? well atleast for purchasing i mean...im trying to get a 30 gal south american tank setup and i want that muddy sand look...if anyone could help that would be great

Mark

Eheim Pimp Club Member #77
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 08:09 PM

You can use playsand from Home Depot/Lowes... probably about as fine a sand as you'll find without using oolitic. Beware however, this stuff is a bear to clean!

EDIT: A bear to clean before you even put it into the tank... although it ain't easy to clean this stuff with a syphon either.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

no playsand isnt what i want thats too bright! Its currently in my 30 gal...im talking about something that has a mud type color

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 09:28 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Tahitian Moon Sand is black. I don't think it looks like mud though....

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
I feel that Profile looks fairly muddy-colored. Just a tad too orangy, maybe. And of course you don't want authentic real fine mud, assuming you will have fish in it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 09:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
wonder if you could crush up some of the profile....

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hrm never heard of profile...ill go check it out...could you guys include a link, i cant find this stuff...thanks

Mark

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 11:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
http://www.profileproducts.com/lawn/lawn_3.html

profile is an orange/red clay that doesn't quite look "muddy"... a couple of suggestions depending on what exactly you mean by "muddy"...

for a dark brown muddy look maybe try mixing playsand with tahitian moon and flourite until you get the look you're going for...

for a lighter look just playsand and flourite mixed thoroughly...

or... maybe a dark brown fine gravel (the finest grade you can find at lfs, if it's too big the effect won't work) mixed with tahitian moon and / or a little flourite.

i have also found a "mud" colored sand that I really wanted to use in my 10g, but opted for something else instead because of the price... it's called "exo-terra riverbed sand" made by hagen...

http://www.exo-terra.com/products/riverbed_sand_i.php

it's marketed as a substrate for turtles / amphibians and is priced fairly steeply for pretty small bags... however, the color of the stuff is fantastic! if money were no object, i'd use this with a substrate conditioner / fertilizer on every tank I have... the picture on their site doesn't do it justice... lots of browns, tans, and black..

hope that gives you a little direction.

Oqsy

Edited: found a better picture of exo-terra riverbed sand at http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products.../Itemdy00.aspx
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 12:28 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Profile is also available as "Schultz Aquatic Soil", same thing, nicer packaging.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

wow that pet place has a decent price on that exo-terra sand...and thats what i want too...hrmm what could make a good mix with it though? I was hoping to get atleast half the substrate as flourite perhaps or some other fertilized gravel and then the top portion would be the exo-terra sand...what do you think? thanks for showing me that sand Oqsy!

Mark

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 01:01 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Use a dark brown stone in open areas with a lot of wood and you will get the biotope look that I think you want. Very few "safe" substrates will give you the muddy look but with some clever layout you can get the effect...

Only mother nature can get away with mud... LOL
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 01:04 AM

exo-terra sand...what do you think? thanks for showing me that sand Oqsy!

Am I missing a link... I saw the bag and read the description but I so no photos of its true look ?
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ey buck look at Oqsy's edit...theats the link to see what it looks like....alright do you guys think 15lbs would be good enough? I found a site where i can get 15lbs for $21 with shipping...oh yeah the tank is a 30 gal high

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 01:37 AM

ahhhhhh... see I told you I missed something ! LOL

Thats some sweet looking sand , Ive never seen that before Thanks for pointing that link out...
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 01:38 AM

You will probably need 2 bags due to "settling" in time. 1 bag may cover it for a little while but 15 lbs aint as much as you would think.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode