Oh oh! Don't tell me I've done it wrong! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Oh oh! Don't tell me I've done it wrong!

I just finished mineralising my topsoil for my new tank, following the sticky at the top of this thread. Somehow though, I missed the part where after you submerge the soil you are supposed to let the silt settle, and THEN dump the water. I filled it up, stirred it around heaps, and then dumped the water (very muddy dark water) and spread to dry. Repeated this a few times. The soil has the correct sandy texture, but now I'm worried that all that's left is sand - have i wasted my time and topsoil by dumping all the good stuff? Will I have any nutrients left for my plants?? Agh!! Don't tell me I have to start again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Well... um, generally speaking you are supposed to let it settle, then just dump off the floating top particles, not the actual mud, its your call, but I say redo.

Before you do, am I correct in understanding that you put the mixture in your bucket added water, mixed it together, then dumped out some mud, or am I wrong?

Piano
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I had a large 60 litre tub, put the top soil in, filled with water, stirred it around heaps to thoroughly soak the soil, then tipped out the dirty water. I kept my hand under the flow as it ran off to make sure no particles were draining away, but I suspect that I just wouldn't have been able to feel the fine silty particles in the water. Darn!!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm so cranky with myself lol. You wouldn't believe how many times I have read up on mineralising topsoil, and for how long (4 months of preparation for this tank gathering bits and pieces etc) and somehow I missed one of the most basic principles!!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

I really don't know what to tell you other than better be safe than sorry. Get someone else's opinion but I think your best bet to make sure you have good soil would be to redo, you may have somewhat fertile soil with the additives that you put in before it goes in the tank, but I have no idea how much damage pouring out the dirty water did.

We all make mistakes, part oh life. Just cool your jets and no regrets.

Piano

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hmm. Right, well it looks like I'll be out the back with fresh mud this arvo then....lol
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:08 AM
Algae Grower

I've done mineralized soil. What I did was poured the water through a strainer and removed the particles then repeated until there was no floating anything. Then I strained it onto a tarp and let it sit out in the sun until it was dry, then I stirred it up, let it dry again, then put it back into water & repeated about 4x.

You said you had a bunch of sand left over. Are you sure you are using the right stuff? I mean, you're not supposed to be left with sand, you are supposed to be left with dirt
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoh View Post
I've done mineralized soil. What I did was poured the water through a strainer and removed the particles then repeated until there was no floating anything. Then I strained it onto a tarp and let it sit out in the sun until it was dry, then I stirred it up, let it dry again, then put it back into water & repeated about 4x.

You said you had a bunch of sand left over. Are you sure you are using the right stuff? I mean, you're not supposed to be left with sand, you are supposed to be left with dirt
All topsoil has a component of sand, that's normal. I'm just worried I might have washed away everything but the sand part. But it's hard to tell as the mineralised finished product is SUPPOSED to be sandy in consistency. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much. It's probably fine the way it is, but seeing as I'm determined to do this right, I may as well start mineralising the topsoil that is still left. I just went out now and found enough left in a large tub to start again. Not only that, but the bucket had been filled by the rain a couple of weeks ago and has been soaking ever since. In fact, there was a nice thick layer of pea soup green water on top! (hmm so this is what my tank is going to look like) I went to pour the green water off, but the minute I tilted the tub, it instantly turned to runny mud, and there was no way to pour out the water without pouring out mud, so I just spread it out as it was to dry. So here we go again!

By the way, what do you mean when you say you strained the water?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
From what I gather youre doing it right. you dont want a light silty layer sitting on top otherwise youll be cleaning your filter everyday for weeks( ive done it). I think the idea is to trap fine particles in the sand to use as fertilizer. the stuff you poured off would have settled. then added to your tank only to have fliter curret blow it back up into the water column. I mix loam and gravel in the tank, top it up, and siphon it off, then retop and siphon until it comes out fairly clean so im not chasing my filter and killing my nitrobachter everyday. makes for a long cycle if you clean it daily.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 01:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

If you have a good cap, then you should have no problems with clogging filters. I have yet to have it happen yet.

Piano

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 12:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
from what i can gather, you really don't want to loose any of the actual mud. that fine silt is what you're after. the whole process of mineralizing topsoil means you are breaking down all the components in the dirt. getting the soil wet and letting it dry repeatedly speeds up the the whole break down process. for the first couple times wetting and drying, just make mud. you can sift out all the big stuff later.

What would Honey Badger do?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok, so I just soaked and laid my topsoil out to dry for the 3rd time, no obvious change in consistency yet, but there is a big difference between this batch and the first batch where I rinsed the soil and didn't wait for the silt to settle before draining. This batch is noticeably richer, with a lot of fine silky silt in it which turns into a very soft slippery mud when wet - All of that got washed away in my first batch, and no doubt a large majority of the nutrients are contained in this part of the soil, so I'm glad I'm redoing it. I think my plants will be a lot happier for a lot longer with this second batch.

So to all future new MTS-ers, When the sticky on mineralising topsoil at the top of this forum says "rinse" your soil, make sure you let the silt settle before draining the water, do not literally rinse the soil!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I accidentally left out my tarp covered in soil when it was "drying" and it rained...will the rainwater do any harm?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The rainwater itself is fine, it's just mineralising naturally! As long as it didn't wash all of your topsoil away of course.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamivy View Post
The rainwater itself is fine, it's just mineralising naturally! As long as it didn't wash all of your topsoil away of course.
Nope, it all stayed on the tarp...which now has a bunch of tree buds collected on it. Yay for mandatory sifting!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode