Black Tahitian Moon in low-light/tech setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Black Tahitian Moon in low-light/tech setup

So I did a search here on tanks that use this substrate, and I saw that quite a few of you (or, more then I expected) are quite successful at keeping plants in Black Tahitian Moon sand.

I was just wondering, for those who do/did use it, any suggestions or tips on keeping plants in this sand? This is my first attempt at a planted tank. Been in the hobby for over 15 years, but only recently got the planted tank bug.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:53 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I don't have TMS in my tanks, but ColorQuartz which is very similar.

I find it's very easy to plant in, holds stems down very easily.

You just need to make sure to supply balanced nutrients in proportion to your light level.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the reply!

Glad to here it. New substrate was not in the budget. How thick did you lay it out in the tank?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 01:19 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
My 75 is mostly colorquartz and another type of black sand, with a bit of flourite mixed in for looks.

I'm running CO2 and adding fertilizer, and the stem plants have been growing great. The one sword I have (ozelot sword or something like that)hasn't gotten very tall, but it has been spitting out new leaves consistently.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

FSM, thanks for the info.

I know I'll end up fertilizing, but I won't get into co2. I'm gonna keep it as low-tech as possible. I'm contemplating adding a small amount of "complete" type substrate, but we'll see.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cento View Post
FSM, thanks for the info.

I know I'll end up fertilizing, but I won't get into co2. I'm gonna keep it as low-tech as possible. I'm contemplating adding a small amount of "complete" type substrate, but we'll see.
Try not to mix. I have a mixed substrate tank and it just drives me nuts now... gonna have to change it out soon.

If you want the sand, go for it. If you can find a local supplier that still has black colorquartz, it would definitely be cheaper for your too.

For substrate nutrients.... well I know a guy...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 01:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
When I had my 29 gallon with TM I bought some root tabs in the substrate around the plants that were heavy root feeders, other than that I dosed dry fertilizers as the estimated index dosing says to do and my plants took off. I used CO2 as well but if you have a smaller tank you can always use DIY CO2, or do none and go easy on fertilizers so you don't have a algae bloom.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 02:37 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
You want 2-3" of substrate.

And if you mix all black substrates IMO it looks fine.

I don't care for substrates of different colors mixed together, but that's all just personal preferences.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 04:08 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I used TMS in my 20H lowtech tank. No co2, no ferts, just a 24" t5ho dual fixture. Everything grew in that tank. swords, ferns, lily, multiple rotala species, anubias.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks guy/girls!!...

I guess I'll stick with TMS... I didn't use the whole bag, so I'll add a little more to what I have to get a thicker base (great... lots of washing to do...).

After the initial acclimatization of the plants, I'll try my hand at dry and liquid fertz.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode