Eco-Complete and Malaysian Trumpet Snails? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Eco-Complete and Malaysian Trumpet Snails?

So, I just dropped some Trumpet snails into my 10 gallon, which has Eco-Complete, I've read conflicting stories about this, some say that they're good and will aerate the substrate, but then, many have also said they won't burrow into the sand and will uproot any plants in there, anyone have done this before?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 12:20 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Malaysian Trumpet snails are good and will aerate the substrate. I have not ever had them uproot plants before.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Even with Eco-Complete? Because in my experience, the top layer of Eco-Complete is very light and likes to let things float away.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
I have tons of Trumpet Snails in my 10g (maybe I shouldn't have added 12 adults +overfeeding= bajillion babies), and I see them under the Eco all the time except when it's time to EAT!! xD Anyways they do uproot some plants that are buried shallowly like HC, but if the plant is planted deeper or developed its root system, no worries.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Marel View Post
I have tons of Trumpet Snails in my 10g (maybe I shouldn't have added 12 adults +overfeeding= bajillion babies), and I see them under the Eco all the time except when it's time to EAT!! xD Anyways they do uproot some plants that are buried shallowly like HC, but if the plant is planted deeper or developed its root system, no worries.
Ok, that's a bit reassuring, I pulled one of the two (gigantor) out and couldn't find the itty bitty one, hopefully the gajillion ramshorn and pond snails will starve it out.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 02:01 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm running a 72 gallon with eco-complete planted tank. I had some MTS piggy back on some purchased plants and took over the tank (they didn't just stay under the substrate though). They became somewhat unsightly and I ended up boiling the substrate to get rid of 'em..the 4 loaches I had did not keep the population under control.

As far as plant damage is concerned they tended to eat and hence uproot plants that had bulbs, e.g., onion plants and ect.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
IME MTS are a pain with HC, but I've had no problems with them with Glosso or Riccia. With Riccia I tie it down to pieces of slate and they clean it well and never make a mess of it so far. Just got some pearlweed in the mail today but I doubt the snails will be a problem with it considering its a major weed.

Jarod
I'm in the Saint Louis, MO area and always looking to connect with other planted tank enthusiasts.

75 Gallon low tech

29 Gallon High Tech

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode