Eco-complete (Live Heterotrophic bacteria?) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eco-complete (Live Heterotrophic bacteria?)

Hello all,

I understand the topic of Flourite vs Eco-complete has been beaten to death, but there seems to be one difference that I haven't seen discussed. Eco-complete claims to have "live Heterotrophic bacteria to rapidly convert fish waste into natural food for your aquatic plants" while Flourite doesn't, doesn't that alone make Eco-complete better?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 04:21 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Personally, I don't think those "live bacteria" accomplish much if anything- everyone I know who has used Eco has still needed to make sure to cycle the tank.

I happen to like Flourite better b/c it's more uniform in color and grain size, and it also doesn't have the tendency to raise and buffer pH like Eco can do. To me, that's worth all the rinsing LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My eco-complete tank took almost two weeks to complete a fishless cycle. Maybe the bacteria helped, but it certainly wasn't dramatic.

Tom

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
its all lies...regardless of whether there are bacteria in the substrate or not...you still have to wait for your tank to develop a bio slime

so if there are bacteria in the substrate...it has no where to go when you add water to your tank and will slowly die off...not to mention, there is not ammonia, nitrite or nitrate for them to consume initially

it may reduce the time to cycle your tank but minimally....youre better off seeding with a used filter or gravel in a sock
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Algae Grower

I read on a forum that the bacterias in the bag don't live forever and most of the time you will buy a bag with bacterias already dead unless the LFS just got a shipment from the company. I think it's a great product but my tank had to cycle for 2 weeks too.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I see, thanks for all the replies but I wasn't really thinking along the lines of cycling faster but rather the bacteria will convert fish waste into food for plants. Which sounded nice in terms of developing a natural eco-system.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHplants View Post
I see, thanks for all the replies but I wasn't really thinking along the lines of cycling faster but rather the bacteria will convert fish waste into food for plants. Which sounded nice in terms of developing a natural eco-system.
This develops naturally in all tanks. It's the "cycle" of which everyone speaks.

__
__
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
This develops naturally in all tanks. It's the "cycle" of which everyone speaks.
Awesome, thanks for the clarification.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
nitrobacter, and nitrosoma(spelling?) are acrobactic(spelling?) hope that is the right word. meaning it needs oxygen to survive. it that bag it won't last long more or likely you still had some of the bacteria in the bag, and it went throw a mini cycle.

Thanks, Joey. tanks-CUBE of different sizes.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 12:45 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyjoe24 View Post
nitrobacter, and nitrosoma(spelling?) are acrobactic(spelling?) hope that is the right word.
You got the spelling of the bacteria correct, but managed to spell aerobic incorrectly

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode