Aquariumplantsdotcom Subsrtat - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquariumplantsdotcom Subsrtat

I am just off the phone after talking to a representative of aguariumplants dot com He was telling me that their substrat would not flow and shift and level out over time. Specifically that if I raked it up 3 inches higher in the rear it would stay that way. Also that It would permanently support large rocks without them settling in.
I am almost sure that I read just the opposite someplace on this forum.
Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
I have their substrate and it behaves just like any other substrate I have ever used...it just sits there.

65g planted tank - 200W heat - PC 192W/6700K - Eheim 2217 - Pressurized CO2 - EI Dosing
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
For a 1/3rd the price you could check in to Soil Master Select, Turface, Turface Pro Leauge as they are all the same and cost about $10 for a 50lb bag.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
For a 1/3rd the price you could check in to Soil Master Select, Turface, Turface Pro Leauge as they are all the same and cost about $10 for a 50lb bag.

Craig

Believe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
__
__
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I never liked turface much. it's too light. with decent flow, it blows around more than it should. It gets better over time. I'm assuming being a fired clay product it absorbs mulm, etc and gets a lot sturdier, but still nothing like the heavier substraites (sands, gravels, etc)

20L build in progress

my 75 (the old tank)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

For caution's sake, soil master select has been reported to severely drop ph/kh.

How much does shipping cost on a 50 pound bag of turface?

65g planted tank - 200W heat - PC 192W/6700K - Eheim 2217 - Pressurized CO2 - EI Dosing
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
ups.com plug in 50lbs :-)

20L build in progress

my 75 (the old tank)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzi View Post
For caution's sake, soil master select has been reported to severely drop ph/kh.

How much does shipping cost on a 50 pound bag of turface?
Just so you know the Aquariumplants.com substrate is Soil Master Select. Turface is the same thing. It may drop the Ph/Kh at first but it will stabalize in a few weeks.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post

Craig
The AP.com subsrate works fine, I use it and my plants grow beautifully in it.

Yes, it is pretty much just repackaged Turface. If you can get a local store to order it for no extra cost, go for it. Buying a 50# bag online will incur about $30-40 in shipping. AP.com includes the shipping cost in the price, so saying you can get Turface for 1/3 the price is not really accurate, unless again you have access to it locally.

There are many things that are repackaged and relabeled for the aquarium hobby. It is convenience and peace of mind that you are getting something safe for your tank, since many people do not feel like hunting down a particular thing all over their state and still have an unknown.

Caribsea "oolitic" sand is aragonite you could buy as playsand for $3 for 50# of - sold at $30 for 30# at LFS. Most buffers are baking sodas or similar you can buy for pennies a pound, sold at a massive markup. Most any gravel can be purchased by the TON for a few dozen dollars. Filter floss, carbons, foam pads for filters, tubing, etc, etc- all can be had for a fraction of the cost that the aquarium hobby offers them for. You pay for the convenience.

120g SPS Coral Tank
90g Planted in process of setting up
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Wait, being the same as SMS or Turface, are you supposed to continue to wash it until clear then? My AP.com substrate is hugely cloudy if i stir the tank and I would love to gravel-vac it into crystal clarity.

SunSun Pimp #10

- 29G, 130W PC lighting, Red Sea CO2 on 20# tank, SunSun 303B, Custom ferts
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
The AP.com subsrate works fine, I use it and my plants grow beautifully in it.

Yes, it is pretty much just repackaged Turface. If you can get a local store to order it for no extra cost, go for it. Buying a 50# bag online will incur about $30-40 in shipping. AP.com includes the shipping cost in the price, so saying you can get Turface for 1/3 the price is not really accurate, unless again you have access to it locally.

Just to be clear, it's not "pretty much" just repackaged Turface, it is repackaged Turface.

I've never had a problem finding it locally and for $10-$20 for 50#s, it's definitely worth it to at least look. I've got 5 Lesco's within about 20 minutes of me. Just have to check out the website.

AP's substrate is $65 for a 5g. I didn't exactly measure it, but I think 50# is somewhere between 7-10g.....

__
__
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ian, if your tank isn't too big, you can use the leftover turface to build an infield or perhaps a bocce court in your backyard.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
Just to be clear, it's not "pretty much" just repackaged Turface, it is repackaged Turface.

I've never had a problem finding it locally and for $10-$20 for 50#s, it's definitely worth it to at least look. I've got 5 Lesco's within about 20 minutes of me. Just have to check out the website.

AP's substrate is $65 for a 5g. I didn't exactly measure it, but I think 50# is somewhere between 7-10g.....

Are you completely sure they are not adding something to the substrate? I said "pretty much" because I cannot say for certain they are not modifying it in any way.

I could not find anyone local that had it in stock, or that would get it shipped in for no charge. Yes it is worth a look. My point with the shipping included is that alot of the price is from shipping and packaging costs.

120g SPS Coral Tank
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post

I could not find anyone local that had it in stock, or that would get it shipped in for no charge. Yes it is worth a look. My point with the shipping included is that alot of the price is from shipping and packaging costs.
have you tried the john deer landscaping stores they normaly have it or will get it.

GEOLOGY Rocks Have A Gneiss Day
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by metageologist View Post
have you tried the john deer landscaping stores they normaly have it or will get it.
I had tried a couple places, didn't try any of those stores. I only needed the 6 gallon container, the $75 shipped to my door and no phone calls, waiting, or driving around was worth it to myself.

Had I needed 3-4 times that much, I would have definitely looked around harder. The price that AP.com charges for the substrate is not completely obscene once the shipping costs are taken out of it.

120g SPS Coral Tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode