How to keep sand from becoming anerobic?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to keep sand from becoming anerobic??

I cant seem to stop my sand from going anerobic and turning blue green gray, also it has taken the lives of all my neons. ph is 8.0 nitrates 0 and anmonia is 0 as well .

side note: the only remedy is to bleach the crap out of the sand and them was for days on end...

When in doubt.... SCREAM AND SHOUT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
Have a thinner layer like less than 1/2", and get something like burrowers working on the sand. Stir the sand around every week.

I have a 2" layer of Tahitian Moon Sand, but I have not seen my sand turn colors, though occasionally there is the rotten egg smell when I do remember to stir it...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Marel View Post
Have a thinner layer like less than 1/2", and get something like burrowers working on the sand. Stir the sand around every week.

I have a 2" layer of Tahitian Moon Sand, but I have not seen my sand turn colors, though occasionally there is the rotten egg smell when I do remember to stir it...
considering that TMS is black, any color change won't be very obvious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
If you smell rotten eggs... it has gotten anaerobic. Tahitian Moon Sand won't change colors... it is black already...

Like Craig said, Malaysian Trumpet Snails and Poking it with a stick helps. With planted tanks it is hard to actually "stir" it...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Marel View Post
Stir the sand around every week.
That's probably the worst thing you could possibly do.

How deep is your sand bed?

If it's a deep sand bed you want (and will have) an anerobic area. It's great for denitrification. What you don't want to do is stir it up and bring that layer to the top. That's what will kill your fish off. Stiring it is a HUGE no-no.

If you have a shallow sand bed (less than 1") then you shouldn;t have problems with an anerobic zone at all.

It sounds like you might have a sand bed that is deep enough to have an anerobic zone, but not deep enough for that zone to do it's job. You may want to add some sand so that you have a deep enough anerobic zone for all of the activity associated with it to take place. Or remove some sand so that you just don't have an anerobic zone. Both options are good, but that in between depth is what can occasionally lead to trouble.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmelnick View Post
That's probably the worst thing you could possibly do.
Thats probbably the best thing you can do, actually. Unless you are going for a deep sand bet to denitrate-ify
You just have to do a larger water change if when you stir you realize it is too late and it is allready anaerobic

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Question

Have been thinking about using deep sand in a sump for a non-planted tank. Can this be effective in freshwater for denitrification?

Assuming this would be a bad thing in a planted tank as the plants use nitrate.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsandwitch View Post
Thats probbably the best thing you can do, actually. Unless you are going for a deep sand bet to denitrate-ify
You just have to do a larger water change if when you stir you realize it is too late and it is allready anaerobic
I do agree with that if you're trying to keep a shallow sand bed but it was just a little bit too deep (which sounds like might be the case here). But I would recommend making the sand shallower if you didn't want an actual deep sand bed. Otherwise you'll go through this over and over again.

But once you have a DSB going leaving it alone is always the best practice. You should choose if you want the DSB for denitrification, or if you want a shallow bed without an anaerobic zone and add or remove sand to get what you want.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Would malaysian trumpet snails help with bubbles that come from substrate? I have 1/2 to 3/4 inch MTS covered in flourite 1/2-3/4 inch, I've been having alot since I just started it up. Thanks,
Your pal,

Piano
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
wow I have 2 inches of sand and mine is fine after 1 month

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/96%)
In my opinion sand is best in the sand boxes, or on the beach to lay on...

In aquarium I use smallest available gravel ( 'fiter sand') on top on Turface and I have never had any anaerobic problems. Nor any other problems!

But then, I also wouldn't use any sort of 'mineralized soil' nor any other medium requiring masochistic traits....
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
agreed edwardN, sand compacts and gravel does a better job of letting anerobic zones breathe(tiny bubbles). If you must stuck to your guns on the sand id suggest clams or again malaysian snails as they bury themselves thus stirring the sand slow. Ive also gotten better root systems off of plants in gravel as opposed to sand. Your ph is 8 and that is also probably an attribute to your sand as you have no idea of the mineral content in it unless it lava. common playsand is full of various minerals, some of which break down.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
If your pH is 8.0, no wonder your neons didn't survive... They are VERY sensitive to high or low pH's.
prefer their pH around 6.7-7.0
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I wouldn't be so quick to blame your sand. My 75 had a 3" front and 6" back to the sand bed. I uprooted, replanted, etc all the time. If you're having issues with low-oxtgen zones in your substrate.... plant more! :-) Plant roots give off O2 into the substrate and completely negate all these worries of bad spots in the sand.

20L build in progress

my 75 (the old tank)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode