black beauty sand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
black beauty sand

can it be used, with some seachem flourite(sp?) or eco complete in a planted tank. reason i ask is i might be picking up a 110g long (72x16x21) with stand,lids, and some regular light for 125.00 and they buy is willing to throw in 100lbs of black beauty sand for 10.00 dollars. Thanks.

Thanks, Joey. tanks-CUBE of different sizes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
The sand blasting material?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
The sand blasting material?

at first i thought it was just sand, but yes he told me it is the sand blasting sand. i do have tan silica pool filter sand too, if the pool filter sand would work, thanks.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'm pretty sure I read a thread where this was used. I'm guessing it will be fine.Mixing the ecocomplete would be a good idea though. You'll need to start ferts earlier with this product though.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knm<>< View Post
I'm pretty sure I read a thread where this was used. I'm guessing it will be fine.Mixing the ecocomplete would be a good idea though. You'll need to start ferts earlier with this product though.
Thanks, do you have a link to that thread?

and i'll buy a bunch of fert tabs.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
You need to do some research first (IMO) as Black Beauty is not a sand. It was used in the power plant where I work to clean steam turbine parts but it's use was discontinued due to disposal issues. Do a trade name internet search to find the MSDS on it. (material safety data sheet)

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
You need to do some research first (IMO) as Black Beauty is not a sand. It was used in the power plant where I work to clean steam turbine parts but it's use was discontinued due to disposal issues. Do a trade name internet search to find the MSDS on it. (material safety data sheet)
thanks, i finely did some research on here and i'm not going to use it.
i will just use a mix of the silica pool filter sand, and some flourite or eco complete.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hi fishyjoe24...i mixed it with ADA amazon on my 75 gallons. Never have problem with that mix.

You might want to try soilmaster select from John Deer. There is JD landscape place on Jupiter and 15th in Plano. He had about 20 bags left. 15.00 per 50lbs bag. I brought 3 bags the other day. I used it on my 29 gallons and cap it with black gravel and used Pfertz root tab.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
i was going to do this with my fourite, but i found if you dig to the bottom of the sand, you get about 4 inches of really really fine black sand. its much smoother than the ones on thetop.

I ended up going with playsand though for my cories.

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 10:54 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've been told by others to stay away from BLACK BEAUTY.... I have used BLACK DIAMOND blasting grit, it's great.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Ive got black diamond in the tank I just set up a week ago. Ive read that its good unless you have cories.

So far so good for me.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ml#post1029090
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftyfiveG View Post
Hi fishyjoe24...i mixed it with ADA amazon on my 75 gallons. Never have problem with that mix.

You might want to try soilmaster select from John Deer. There is JD landscape place on Jupiter and 15th in Plano. He had about 20 bags left. 15.00 per 50lbs bag. I brought 3 bags the other day. I used it on my 29 gallons and cap it with black gravel and used Pfertz root tab.

Thanks how many bags will i need? wonder how much i should sell my double stacker 55g's for. the fish and plants from the 55 along with the light will be going on/in the 110l. 135.00 with lids,t8 lights,and a 2x4 stand for 135.00 !

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Old thread, but I just heard about this stuff a few days ago and I'm getting mixed messages about it. Some say it's safe, some say it's not. Others say that some batches are bad. Some say its bad for bottom dwellers, others say it's okay.

Also, is this black diamond stuff made from the same stuff as black beauty? How is it different? I really am just trying to find a cheap alternative to black sand with high CEC, similar to flourite black sand or ADA power sand.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode