My First Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Lightbulb My First Planted Tank

About 8 months ago, I found a 20 L tank and with it I created a Wet/Dry terrarium from scratch. I was very happy with the result. Now I just purchased a 36 Gallon Bow tank and I'm looking to create a nice planted aquarium which can host some species of fish I have yet to decide. I have a nice power filter, 200 W heater, and hood lighting. So to start it off I want to get the right substrate, I've been researching and looking around quite a bit in the last week and I was thinking of purchasing Seachem Flourite (not sure which color). It seems like it can run anywhere from $20-25. I figured I would put up a thread on here to see if more experienced tank owners could give me some insight on Flourite or similar substrates or any other ideas they might have! Thank you!

p.s. I have heard/read that Flourite requires a lot of washing and rinsing before installing it in your tank to prevent a lot of clouding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Hello MWBradshaw,
One good substrate combo to use is, MTS capped with Seachem's Flourite black sand. It seems to be working nicely. Imo the black sand looks nicer than the gravel like ones. About rinsing flourite, all you need to do is grab a bucket put half a bag of flourite in it and then let the hose run in it, allowing water to overflow. The light stuff that coulds the tank will float to the top, leaving the good stuff on the bottom. Stiring occasionaly helps. Each half bag should take about 15 minutes. Then you can just put it straight into your tank from their. Your tank WILL cloud, almost no matter what you do. Flourite is just crazy like that, but it will go away in a period of a day to a week. Good filtration helps with this. Also one DIY method is using coffee filters over your current filtration. They clog pretty fast, but if you change it once in the morning, once at lunch, and then again at night, it helps a good bit. (works best in hang on the back filters.) Haven't tried it in canisters yet.
Hope this helps mate,
Your pal,

Piano
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Piano. I have noticed a lot of abbreviations on this site, I can usually figure out most of em but I'm not sure on MTS. Is that a kind of sand? And yeah, I just wanna make the right purchase off the bat so I don't have to worry about re-doing it after a short amount of time.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

After looking at some of your posts, I have figured out that MTS stands for Mineralized Top Soil and a lot of people swear by it. Although it does seem complex and involve much running around, now I'm debating what to do.........
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 09:35 PM

Just to throw in a bit more confusion, MTS can also stand for "Malaysian Trumpet Snail" and also "Multiple Tank Syndrome" (many of us are afflicted with the latter!)

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Haha thanks blade.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 02:26 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
MTS is a great substrate for the $$, and TheCryptKeeper is still making it for sale if you aren't interested in DIYing your own...

Just Flourite would be a good choice, though. I've got it in all my own tanks. I'm partial to the black, personally.

If you rinse it well AND let it dry afterwards, you'll just about eliminate any clouding.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I bought some of the original yesterday, 2 bags. I was having a really hard time finding it! Out of 5 large stores I went to in surrounding cities, 3 places had it. But two of those places only had one bag and only one choice (original) and one place had a few bags of a few different colors but it was $25 a bag (which seemed overpriced from looking at other stores and what you can get it for on the web). I was kinda of bummed out that I couldn't find more of a selection at a store...

Tags
flourite, new tank, seachem, substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode