Substrate for dry starting HC - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
Substrate for dry starting HC

What substrate and fertilizers do I use?

I only have the inert Tahitian Moon Sand right now, but I read somewhere I can use some sort of soil that is gardening, but I can't find it so here I am asking.

I don't want to buy another bag of Eco-Complete or stuff like that because I'm dry starting in a very very small tank and the extra stuff would be wasted. So if there is a safe gardening soil I want to get that to dry start the HC and plant some tomatoes and strawberries.

And for ferts, I have most Seachem liquid minus the Excel and Trace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
I just finished setting up a 10gal emersed HC tank last week. I used Shultz Aqua Soil (SAS) that I had left over and it seems to be doing well but I'm misting ferts daily. Any substrate should work well it's just up to you as long as you stay in the 1mm-3mm range.

If your not going to flood the tank at any point then Miracle Grow would work very well. That's probably what I'm going to use when I transfer the HC to when it outgrows the 10gal it's in. But I'm a bit nuts this is going to be a permanant emersed tank so I can give portions of it away at the local HAAS auctions.

- Brad

Proud member of the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.

Last edited by bradac56; 03-18-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Me no spell good.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
So I bought some topsoil and some sand to top it off, will I still get dead spots. Cuz I got dead spots with the TMS.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
I actually had some luck with using flourite with a couple roots tabs underneath. Then every few days a misted the hc with a solution of dry ferts and RO water. This method seemed to work pretty nice and easy to maintain, IMO. But it looks like you want soil so I couldn't help you there. My only suggestion would be to try out some mineralized topsoil if you feel like trying some different than commercial products.

I see you went with soil and a sand cap. That sounds like it should work. Just watch when you finally fill it. Be gentle to make little disturbance and let the tank cycle before adding fish. Sometimes topsoil will cause an initial ammonia spike and possible algae bloom depending on how intense your light is initially.

Good luck,
Bryan

Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode