My Mineralized Soil Adventure - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
My Mineralized Soil Adventure

Well I am in the process of drying my top soil after the first soak. After two days in the sun, it is dry and the first dry cycle is complete. It is even looking a bit grainy like how it needs to be. The only thing is the mud dried into one big piece and clumpy. Should I break it up into small particles of dirt again or just put all the big pieces into a bucket and re-wet it? How do you wet it again properly? do you just soak it in a bucket again or soak/spray it with a hose? Right now I have the mud dried into three big flat pieces. Let me know what to do now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)

Last edited by PRSRocker3390; 03-17-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

anyone?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well, I broke it down into small chunks and pushed it through a strainer to remove most hard chunks, rocks, and sticks. I guess when it dries, it is normal to have chunks or one big chunk of mud pie since nobody wrote it was bad. Well now I have it sitting in a bucket while I am drying another 3 trays of dirt outside. I only do three at a time because of the limited space at my townhouse. The dirt is fine to sit there dry until next wetting right?

Well this dirt looks incredible for one soak and then a first dry. After pushing it through a strainer, I have a light brown, soft, airy sandy dirt that has no smell that I can detect at all. But I guess I will wet it and dry it two more times just to be safe. That should be fine, correct? Or can it be wet and dried to many times? The landscape supply place I bought it from said it is basically just dirt and sand in their top soil with some organics of course so it should be pretty good to begin with. They said there were no ferts or manure added. It was as basic as they can get for top soil.

I also plan on having a RCS tank, probably in my ten gallon with mostly moss, possibly some crypts and some stems. Do you think I should just skip using MTS in that tank? I was thinking just flourite only would be fine. I was thinking of making it a RCS or CRS breeding tank so I didn't want anything to be able to hurt them or cause problems so that is why I figured less is more. Just a thin layer of flourite and mostly moss on driftwood and mesh.

Let me know what you guys think of my process so far. I am really excited about this MTS. If I have any extra for a future tank, can I just keep it a container or bag for storage? It doesn't go bad or anything, correct? Or need to be rewet? Totally new to using MTS but I like trying new things. I think I just got bored of always using a commercial substrate, lol. Thanks all.

Bryan

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 01:06 AM
Aquascaper = Artist

PTrader: (104/100%)
you are doing it just fine. when it dries it will be like little flat chunks, kinda like chocolate pieces (don't eat ) I sometimes take the soil and strain it during the rewetting process. I take the chunks and place them on a screen and use a hose to break them down with a tupperware container under it to collect the soil and water.. it will keep all of the small crap (wood, rocks etc. ) out and make it easier when it is done to sift. once you have done that the container should be ready to go, the container with the water and dirt is ready to let sit for a day and be dried again.

I also sometimes take an old pair of shoes and crush up the chunks when dry into small grain soil. then rewet it in a container of water, and repeat. after a few times you will be ready to go.

Ken

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Yep, I second Ken's thoughts. You are right on track. I do the same thing as Ken and wet/screen it between each cycle to break down the big chunks.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

With raising RCS or CRS, would having mineralized soil have any bad effects like maybe a better chance of substrate going anoxic and hurting sensitive shrimp like CRS. If I plan on raising them alone in just a basic moss variety tank and possible very low light plants (maybe just anubias or java fern), should I just skip using MTS on those tanks and just use about an inch of flourite? I have extra flourite and those plants don't get buried or rooted in the substrate. What do you think?

Also can you store mineralized soil dry in a container once it is done and you are not ready to use it? I mean I can't see why it would go bad or reverse anything but I never assume anything.

Thanks,
Bryan

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRSRocker3390 View Post
With raising RCS or CRS, would having mineralized soil have any bad effects like maybe a better chance of substrate going anoxic and hurting sensitive shrimp like CRS. If I plan on raising them alone in just a basic moss variety tank and possible very low light plants (maybe just anubias or java fern), should I just skip using MTS on those tanks and just use about an inch of flourite? I have extra flourite and those plants don't get buried or rooted in the substrate. What do you think?
I never had a problem with MS and shrimp.

Quote:
Also can you store mineralized soil dry in a container once it is done and you are not ready to use it? I mean I can't see why it would go bad or reverse anything but I never assume anything.

Thanks,
Bryan
Nope, store away.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Aquascaper = Artist

PTrader: (104/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
I never had a problem with MS and shrimp.

Nope, store away.
x2

you know the saying "older than dirt" lol...

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

This is true lol. Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted on how everything is going in a few days.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode