bad eco complete? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
bad eco complete?

i dumped 2 bags of eco complete i got from drs foster and smith in january and noticed some large black chunks and what looks like bits of crushed coral. i say crushed coral because my pH has risen to 7.6 (tap is 7). did i get bad eco complete?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
There are a few things that can raise PH. Tell us a bit more about the tank.

Is it new ((just being set up?))
Do you run C02?
I've also heard that PH can change when the tank is dark vs light.
What else is in the tank?
Are you dosing any chemicals?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i just set up the tank 8 days ago, added dechlorinator to the water, aquaclear filter with the sponge/biomax inserts and some mature floss, and eco complete. no co2, nothing else in the tank. it's clear that the eco caused the pH to rise to 7.6. but is this normal? or did i get a bad batch?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Take a cup of tap water, treat it(usually a drop of dechlor) and let sit for 24 hours. Now check it for pH.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

this is not my first time testing for pH. i've done it for years and i know my tap water is 7.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Sounds like it could be something with the substrate. OP has the experience to know.

Eco-Complete has had some issues in the past. There were the "contaminated bags" a few years ago. There was also the issue of larger pieces of substrate - less uniformity - to the grain.

I am not sure the bigger pieces are crushed coral, though, and just not larger pieces of the substrate.

How long has the substrate been in the aquarium? Do you think giving it a "settle in" will see the pH drop?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

the eco complete has been in the tank for 8 days.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
For starters, tap water frequently changes. Especially this time of year. It is not an illogical request to have you do something so simple. Many systems inject co2 at times to help with sanitary needs, which would change the pH. But what would I know.

Are you sure you got Eco's plant substrate and not their african cichlid substrate? The African cichlid substrate is much lighter in color, as a whole.

It is possible that the eco will have a short term bump. Small amounts of crushed coral should not have a rapid effect.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
After a little bit of research, here's from the CaribSea Eco-Complete page:

Quote:
Eco-Complete(tm) Planted FAQ

My pH and KH went up after I put Eco-Complete™ Planted in my tank with RO water, what’s going on?

While Eco-Complete™ Planted does not affect pH and KH long term, you will find that it will give a small bump to both of these parameters initially, and this is especially noticeable with the use of RO /DI water. Fortunately this is just a small amount of Calcium Carbonate that is on, not in the substrate and it will dissipate with the first couple of water changes, usually in the first couple weeks. Planting the tank will also help. Keep in mind that one should never add particularly sensitive animals to a tank in the first few weeks anyway but that this is especially important with this situation if the animals are pH sensitive- requiring a low pH.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Planted Member

I got to thinking, and I've had this happen before. The bit Wasserpest posted seems like the most reasonable explination for the PH bump.

From Personal Experience: My tap PH does fluctuate occasionally. I live in an apartment complex and they do something to the water systems here about twice a year that makes the PH DROP a significant amount for about two weeks. ((not a clue what it is)) lol maybe they just clean out a pipe somewhere.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Algae Grower

I live outside of chicago and our tap parameters change daily if not multiple times a day depending on the load at the filtration plants.

I recently set up a tank with new eco complete 8 weeks ago, I had tap PH(24hr test) of 7.8 when it went in, at one point without the Co2 it went to 8.9 and came back down slowly to a 7.4 w dw in the tank, now with co2 its regulated at a 6.8. It does spike a bit but let it run its course, 8 days is about middle for its leachings.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode