switching substrate question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
switching substrate question

Ok, well i've never really been happy with how my plants have grown in my tank, and instead of messing around with DIY C02 (which i have in the past) I'm considering switching to a more beneficial substrate, in this case Eco-complete (black)

Now here is my plan for switching: (i have a 29g)

1. Buy one of those big rubbermaid storage containers, transfer old tank water, substrate & then fish into this.

2. pour eco complete into tank

3. transfer everything (except old gravel) back in (including old water)

any problems with this method?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
That all sounds fine except moving the old substrate to the Rubbermaid. I wouldn't bother with that just fill the container with 60% de-chlorinated water, 40% old water, heat it and put a used sponge filter/hob/canister on it to cycle it then move the fish over.

If you want to keep the old substrate I'd clean it and dry it out so you can re-cycle when you use it again.

- Brad

Proud member of the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and the

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
i would only move some over for the beneficial bacteria...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:36 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You could just use a cooler or a bucket or two.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Give the old tank a good vacuum first and collect a bunch of the mulm. Put the mulm in the tank first, under the Eco, and it will help give your N-bacteria population in the substrate a boost, as well as provide some more nutrients for the plants.

That's more important than the old water. There's very little bacteria content in the water column. I'd just keep some of the old water for the benefit of the fish, to help minimize any water parameter shift.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Eco is supposed to have bacteria already in it and the filter you are using does too. I wouldn't worry about purposely making your water or tank dirty to help establish a bacteria colony since it isn't a completely new setup. I recently changed a tank from ADA aquasoil to Eco and didn't have any problems with my water parameters. In fact, my canister was so dirty water barely dribbled out, and the impeller's heat built up since the water didn't circulate (hardly a good home for bacteria). Even with that disaster of a situation, the new Eco and whatever was left from my bacteria in the filter worked perfectly fine for the fish and shrimp that were in it. Now that I think of it, I did squeeze a sponge filter from an established tank into the inlet to help reseed.

My method:
1 Fish into bucket with some water
2 remove all water
3 remove all substrate
4 clean and rinse tank
5 add new substrate
6 fill with water
7 add fish
8 squeeze seasoned sponge into inlet, leave in tank for a few days

Don't shop, adopt.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
I am changing my substrate today using Eco-complete Black and I'll follow the advice from this thread. I hope everything will be OK.

"Ich Hatte Einen Kameraden"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you are worried about the bacteria population then add some from a bottle. Look for Nitrospiros in the ingredients. All other 'bacteria in a bottle' products are not worth wasting your money.

Nitrifying bacteria thrive on surfaces like the filter media and the substrate. They need high oxygen levels, and reasonable water flow to bring them the ammonia and oxygen they need. They live in a biofilm that is stuck to surfaces.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
If you are worried about the bacteria population then add some from a bottle. Look for Nitrospiros in the ingredients. All other 'bacteria in a bottle' products are not worth wasting your money.

Nitrifying bacteria thrive on surfaces like the filter media and the substrate. They need high oxygen levels, and reasonable water flow to bring them the ammonia and oxygen they need. They live in a biofilm that is stuck to surfaces.
Hi Diana,

This is how I did it and I hope, I am not going to have a mini cycle.
I put some of the old gravel in pantyhose and stick it in the corner of the tanks. Also, I took out all the media and kept it in a bucket filled with the old water and added an aerator until I finished. All the bags of Eco came with some sort live water purifying bacteria inside, whatever that means. I did watch the fish for about 2 hrs and they seem OK. I'll do the water tests tomorrow morning.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

The day after

Hi,

12 hrs after changing the substrate update, if anyone is interested:

Gh-6
Kh-4
Ammo-0
Nitrate-10
Nitrite-0
Ph-7
Same as before, just the nitrates are a bit low.

Fish OK, I am OK.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode