Pool Filter Sand - cloudy water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pool Filter Sand - cloudy water?

Hello all,

I have just purchased a 20 long with the intention of planting it and a couple of cories and a couple of dwarf puffers. I'm using pool filter sand as a substrate and I cleaned it pretty thoroughly. I put it in a bucket and ran a hose to the bottom and swished the sand around for 20 minutes or so with my hands then i just let the bucket overflow with water for about 2 hours. When I went back to check on it, the water was clear. I swished around the sand a little bit and it settled right back down and the water stayed clear.

SO, I put the sand in the tank and filled it up with water but the water is quite cloudy. It's been probably 2 hours. This is my first time using PFS so I'm just wondering if this is normal. Should I turn the filter on? (Penguin 200)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
turn it on

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan
The Advanced ballast is slightly more advanced than the Workhorse ballast, although not quite as much of a workhorse...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Planted Member

The PFS is heavy so shouldn't get sucked into your filter intake, unless you have fish that like to pick it up and spit it out elsewhere in the tank. Same thing happened with my PFS. Took about 3-4 days, but it cleared and has been 100% clear since.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome! Just the advice I was looking for. Thanks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

if anyone's interested, the sand already settled and i've already got some anubias in the tank it's kind of bare right now but this is my first planted tank so i'm still learning.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
My 20 gallon High with PFS always clears up in about 10 minutes when running the filter. I love the look, but it seems to flatten out very easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

nice. i like how that needle java looks. any suggestions on where to buy plants online? this anubias is all i could find at the LFS and it's pretty beat up.

nice t/a too. i like picking on v8's from time to time :p
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
You need to make sure that the rhizomes (the thick green "stem" that the leaves grow out of) on those Anubias aren't buried- they need to be exposed to light or they will die.

Check out the Swap n Shop here on the forum for plants. I've seen quite a bit of needle leaf Java fern for sale recently from other hobbyists. If you don't see anyone with some for sale right now, post up a WTB (want to buy) thread. You'll always get more and better condition plants for your money from a fellow hobbyist.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 02:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Just turn the filter on. It'll catch a majority of the small particles causing the problem. After it is clear, clean the filter and the impellar housing. Don't want a grain of sand to get stuck and burn up the filter (been there, done that).

Filstar Pimp #84
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
You need to make sure that the rhizomes (the thick green "stem" that the leaves grow out of) on those Anubias aren't buried- they need to be exposed to light or they will die.
Do they need to be exposed to light or just not buried because they will rot? Possibly just a matter of semantics but it is a bit of a difference. I think the important thing is they need water flow around the rhizome, not necessarily a certain level of light.

Don't shop, adopt.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode