substrate problems - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
substrate problems

Around a week ago i used 3 bags of florite and 3 bags of flora base for a 72g , i rinsed the substrate a lil bit not much and ive notice dust and dirt all over my plants n when i put my plants in or move the substrate a lil bit, the whole tank gets cloudy brown. I have a strong filter. any ideas on how to remove this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 02:13 AM
Planted Member

Ugh, flourite is notorious for clouding the water. I have a 50/50 mix of flourite and gravel in my tank. Rinsed the flourite until the water was fairly clear, but it still clouds a bit when I am planting or doing a gravel sweep. I think I have a bit of tannin leeching from my driftwood as well, so I'm trying Seachem Purigen in my filter. Just put it in tonight, but that's what folks recommended, so we'll see how that goes.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

From my experience, there's not much you can do to stop that with Fluorite. I had in my aquarium for over two years and it never went away. Best way to control it is to just vacuum it when you do water changes. That issue is one of the reasons I replaced it today.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 05:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
My flourite tank has always been my clearest. I never understood why so many others have found it problematic.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 05:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
what flourite are you using? black or sand?

I have black and never had an issue with cloudy water. I rinsed it for like 30 minutes in small portions.

Even when replanting or anything I never had an issue what so ever.
I also never vacuum my substrate just the top for stuff but never go into it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 06:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have regular flourite black. Probably rinsed about 1qt at a time in a 6qt bucket. There was a lot dust in it. I just rinsed until it was clear. I've had it over a year. Partially vacuumed it for the first time about a month ago. I don't have any problems with cloudiness, even after aquascaping.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

just regular florite

ima give it some time and deep vacuum for a couple of months hopefully it clears.

Keep us updated webgirl74 with the Purigen
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 06:30 PM
Planted Member

Will do. I'm giving it a few days to see if it works, and I might add a second bag of it to the filter. I have the flourite dark, which of course adds a lovely brown tinge to the water! lol
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I did have a brown tinge for the first 6 months of my flourite setup, but it looked like tannins to me, so I just figured it was coming from the driftwood.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrivera View Post
just regular florite

ima give it some time and deep vacuum for a couple of months hopefully it clears.

Keep us updated webgirl74 with the Purigen
Well lo and behold folks but the Purigen seems to be working! It's taken a few days for it to sort of kick in, but I checked the bag yesterday and the Purigen is now brown and the water is definitely clearer and not nearly as brown. I did about a 30% water change last night with my gravel sweep and this morning when I turned on the light, I was amazed at the difference. I think I will add a second bag of the Purigen to try and wipe out the last tinge of brown, but I am quite pleased with the results.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Purigen will remove tannins, but won't do much for dust particles.

You need water changes and good mechanical filtration (try some micron pads) to take care of those.

Next time you need to rinse Flourite- really well- before putting it in a tank. Do that and you won't have any problems.

Know anyone with a diatomacious earth filter you could borrow?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode