Substrate change, I need your input! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Substrate change, I need your input!

Once I get my tax return back I'm doing a full tank overhaul. I'm planning on going with Eco-complete or flourite black sand. Tell me your experiences with each! Which is better, which do you prefer? I'm set on one or the other, I don't want to pay for aquasoil and it's far too cold and snowy to do mts so I've narrowed it down to one of these two.

Anyway, I'm going to unload my fish and plants into Homer buckets and siphon out most of the sand, leave about 2 inches of water in so I can swish off most of that lovely mulm from my gravel as I remove it then add the new substrate and rescape. I'll fill it a third or so and plant, then fill fully.

I do have a question on ferts though, since I'll be pulling almost all the water out will in need to do anything different with my fert routine? I'm dosing EI style with the seachem line if that helps.

Thanks for your input

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(dismantled and replaced)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 03:37 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I personally prefer Flourite over Eco b/c of the more uniform color and grain size, and less risk of altering water parameters.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I personally prefer Flourite over Eco b/c of the more uniform color and grain size, and less risk of altering water parameters.
What's been your experience with Eco altering water parameters? I've been thinking about changing my Fluorite red for Eco because I find it difficult to plant in and it's pretty "dusty", even after two years. Plus, I like the black color better.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra255 View Post
What's been your experience with Eco altering water parameters? I've been thinking about changing my Fluorite red for Eco because I find it difficult to plant in and it's pretty "dusty", even after two years. Plus, I like the black color better.
yes please elaborate...I've never heard about eco messing with water perameters. It's my top choice right now because of the color (I don't mind non-uniform, looks more natural to me really.) and the fact that I most likely won't have to buy a second bag for my plans but that might sway me (unless it's something simple like softening the water, mine's liquid rock here anyway)

(dismantled and replaced)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Personally, I'd go for a mix. In my experience, Eco crushes much easier than Flourite, so over time it's grain size gets smaller, while Flourite's remains the same. I like a substrate that's a mix of grain sizes, therefore, for me, 50/50 black flourite and Eco is perfect, because as the years pass, and Eco breaks up, it creates the perfect substrate.

Actually, even better is to throw in a bag or two of AS, but that's just me probably.

__
__
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Depends on your water parameters, but Eco can raise and buffer pH and hardness- though I believe the effect is usually temporary. Reads so on the bag, even, if I remember correctly?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode