Should I keep my substrate or change it out? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Should I keep my substrate or change it out?

I am planning on aquascaping my 90 gallon for the first time. I currently have a 50/50 gravel flourite mix that has been supporting plants for 8 months. I want to make sure that I don't run into problems down the road. What should I use for substrate, or will I be alright with what I have already?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
you should be fine, i did it and was fine,
but after a while i wanted a uniform substrate, so i swapped it out with AP substrate.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If the flourite is one of the plant substrates I think I would sift through it to pull out most of the gravel. Use the gravel to top off the flourite, if you want. Eventually it may get mixed again, but in the beginning you will have the gravel to help hold the plants down.

Leaving it mixed is OK, too.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I don't think I can sift out the gravel, but I could add more flourite to the mix perhaps start with a base of flourite, then have the mixed on top? Or am I better to use the ADA aquasoil for a base and then add the gravel / flourite mix on top?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 02:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (158/99%)
sooner or later it will get mixed up. i find it best just to go with one and call it a day.

In SoCali? Looking for fish plants equipment? want to learn something about the hobby?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 12:18 AM
Algae Grower

oh no

Hello, all, Just planted my first tank, a 29 gallon, and oops...I started with kitty litter, some fertilizer, and gravel on that. Then i added my 5 petco aquatic plants, which were the real aquatic kind, according to my research. Then a cloud of dust blobbed up, and it's still there (It was planted Sat. and filled the following day ). Every time I move something, more dust! Should I start over? Or is there hope for my tank garden with its kitty litter subsrtate and gravel? Would a layer of flourite weigh things down a bit?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I personally would just vaccuum it. I have previously read on here that kitty litter is a better substrate then flourite, wish I knew that before I dropped so much money on mine. I would keep trying and if it doesn't work within a month or so, no harm done. Atleast you tryed it. If you pull it out now you are loosing your money on the kitty litter for sure. If you give it time to properly settle down, you may save yourself a few bucks to spend on co2 or lighting or plants or fertilizers or the thousands of other things that are apart of this damned expensive hobby. In a nut shell vaccuum it and give it a month.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 05:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by orktank View Post
Hello, all, Just planted my first tank, a 29 gallon, and oops...I started with kitty litter, some fertilizer, and gravel on that. Then i added my 5 petco aquatic plants, which were the real aquatic kind, according to my research. Then a cloud of dust blobbed up, and it's still there (It was planted Sat. and filled the following day ). Every time I move something, more dust! Should I start over? Or is there hope for my tank garden with its kitty litter subsrtate and gravel? Would a layer of flourite weigh things down a bit?
You'll have the exact same problem with Fluorite. It's some dusty stuff. But, after a while, it gets better. Just do a few water changes, change or clean your filter media when the flow from it is cut in half and the problem will be much better in a few weeks. I thought I made a mistake when I first used the Fluorite, but it did get better. When I disturb it, it still kicks up a small cloud, but it's not bad now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode