Amonia Leeching - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Amonia Leeching

Hello there!

Sometime this weekend I'm going to commence the re-scape I've been planning for months now!

Part of my re-scape will be the addition of some ADA brand Amazonia soil.

I've read here and there that this soil will release amonia into the water in such quantity that it can be very dangerous for fish and a catalyst for algae blooms.

The tank will still have all of its old substrate, all of the previous filter media and a decent amount of plant mass. Will I most likely still need to do multiple water changes to combat the amonia? If so... how long can I expect to have to deal with the amonia leeching process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

ADA soils leach ammonia for roughly a month. Even in a well cycled tank the ammonia can reach toxic levels. Move your fish to a different tank while this is going on. Safer than depending on water changes.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I have a 10g everyone can live in while the re-scape happens. I was just hopping to populate the tank sooner than a month from now

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

There is not much you can do to hurry the process. It just takes that long for the substrate to go through its cycle.
All that ammonia is feeding the nitrifying bacteria, though, so that is good.

You might find that 2-3 weeks into the substrate cycle the nitrifying bacteria can be depended on to keep the ammonia and nitrite under control, but until the tests show 0 ppm for several days in a row, I would not trust it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Just got done with the re-scape and I'm waiting for the water to clear to take some pictures. I won't even bother testing the water for a couple days because of the Amano soil.

Hopefully the amonia spike will encourage the plants to settle in quickly and start growing
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 02:46 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Does the ammonia aid in algae growth? I have a 2.5 thats experiencing alot of algae growth.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its only one day later and while the water is still very cloudy (even after a 50% water change) I haven't seen any algae bloom just yet. I have read though that it does often launch an algae assault especially if you do not do several large water changes.

Keeping the fingers crossed that the plants will kick it into high gear and use up all the extra nutrients!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takedakai View Post
Its only one day later and while the water is still very cloudy (even after a 50% water change) I haven't seen any algae bloom just yet. I have read though that it does often launch an algae assault especially if you do not do several large water changes.

Keeping the fingers crossed that the plants will kick it into high gear and use up all the extra nutrients!
Ah Ok. I missed a couple of water changes in my 2.5 with amazonia and Im experiencing thread algae. On a side note, I remember those damn goblins tearing me up in the wetlands on ffxi online. Ah its been awhile since ive played that game.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I also dosed a little excel after the water changes and I'm sure that helped keep any algae bloom at bay so far. Going to do another 50% water change tomorrow though if nothing else it will help clear the dusty water a bit more.

I've been into tanks for a long time but it wasn't till recently, after the wife and I quit FFXI, that I finally got into the planted tanks. Hopefully I can get everything running smoothly with low maint before FFXIV launches, gaming is our favorite family activity lol.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is a one day after pic of the left side. You can see the water is still very cloudy and my camera skills need some leveling up

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Algae Grower

I've heard that leaving compost to dry can cause the ammonia to dissipate. Just a thought...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode