Any experience with Substrate by AquariumPlants.com? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Any experience with Substrate by AquariumPlants.com?

Has anybody used this substrate? Their website claims that it “outperforms ALL other planted substrates (guaranteed)”. Their website also claims that 5 gallon bucket of their substrate (sold at $64.99) will cover 4 sq ft at a depth of 3" (a 55 gallon aquarium measures 48" by 12" or 4 sq ft.), and that this is equivalent to 6 bags of "eco-complete”. They claim that Eco-complete takes 120 lbs (6 bags) to cover the same area, at a cost of over $180.00.

I have never used Eco-complete, but I heard it is pretty good, I do have used Flourite and works very well for me, additionally it looks pretty nice. I guess my only complaint would be that it is very light and therefore not very easy for planting (keeping new plants in place). Over all, I love Flourite, but I have to say it gets pretty expensive.

I am interested in any comments (not coming from the company that makes and/or sells it) regarding AquariumPlants.com’s substrate because it seems a little too good to be true that a product that “outperforms” all other substrates for planted tanks would be so much cheaper, I am pretty skeptical sometimes. But then again I wouldn’t want to miss it if this is true, all products deserve a chance and I certainly deserve to save the money LOL.

Even if it doesn’t “outperform” all others, but it is as good or comparatively as good as Flourite (or Eco-complete if you guys think is as good as fluorite, I just haven’t used it), it would be a pretty good deal at that price, and I would like to know about it.

I want to make VERY clear that I am not promoting ANY brand of substrate; I am just a hobbyist trying to find the best possible substrate at the best possible price (or at least the best possible deal for my money), and therefore seeking advice from fellow hobbyists. Please, if you work for the company that makes the substrate in question, don’t reply to me telling me that your product “does outperform all others” (I already read that in your website) or why... true or not, I’d like to hear the opinion of unbiased sources, people who has used it, fellow hobbyists. Thank you very much and I apologize for the lengthy post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

By the way, I recently joined this site and I’m loving it; a lot of very valuable information and a very good opportunity to learn from a lot of experienced hobbyists. Thanks in advance for your help.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you're willing to pay top dollar, flourite and Eco and the like are great.

If you're looking for the best bang for the buck, MTS and something like a turface cap is going to be CHEAP compared those optiions. That's what I'm going to do on my next tank.

65 gallon journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Kid creole, I'm trying to avoid something too messy and that is why the substrate in question got my attention as an alternative to flourite or eco-complete, have you tried it?
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
i use it. i like it.
i got it in black and its uniform.
if you can get turface pro in black, then save your self 50 bucks and get it. its the same stuff as the name brand substrate. from what i hear on the forum.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Alan, it never crossed my mind that AquariumPlants.com's substrate could be the same stuff as Turface, they advertise the former as containing minerals and nutrients and rich in iron, and I thought turface had none of that. I'm very confused now.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAbiggerTank View Post
Thanks Alan, it never crossed my mind that AquariumPlants.com's substrate could be the same stuff as Turface, they advertise the former as containing minerals and nutrients and rich in iron, and I thought turface had none of that. I'm very confused now.
Any substrate that really has a significant amount of nutrient available to the plant are going to be mush or depleted quickly. So, you will need to either fertilize, or cap something mushy (like MTS).

65 gallon journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Kid creole, I have no problem using something like flourite and fertilizing, I was just trying to find out if the substrate by AquariumPlants.com is comparatively as good as Flourite because it appears to be much cheaper; but now Alan mentioned that AquariumPlants.com's substrate is the same stuff as Turface pro, so, considering that it is advertised as containing minerals and nutrients and rich in iron, I am pretty confused now.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Thanks Kid creole, I have no problem using something like flourite and fertilizing, I was just trying to find out if the substrate by AquariumPlants.com is comparatively as good as Flourite because it appears to be much cheaper; but now Alan mentioned that AquariumPlants.com's substrate is the same stuff as Turface pro, so, considering that it is advertised as containing minerals and nutrients and rich in iron, I am pretty confused now.
You're not confused. it's almost as good. Flourite just isn't that good. It does have minerals, nutrients, and rich in iron...it's just not that easily accessible to plants. But it is accessible. Some substrates are entirely neutral in this regard.

To answer your original question, Turface will probably not 'outperform' those other high end substrates. It will be pretty close to equal, and exactly equal if you are fertilizing.

Personally, I use flourite now, and I just want to change to have the experience. I have nothing bad to say about flourite. Everything we do in this hobby has drawbacks and bonuses. Sometimes it's cost, sometimes it's maintenence, sometimes it's reliability.

Say Turface or aquariumplants.com isn't the best? So what. Think what you can do in your tank with the money you save. heck, you could buy another tank with that kind of scratch.

65 gallon journal:

post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use Aquariumplants.com substrate. It is a fired clay substrate similar to flourite. As mentioned earlier, it is the same as turface.

It's a good product. My only complaint is it is light and can be blown around. Once it is saturated though, i haven't had any issues holding freshly planted plants down. I do fertilize per EI.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you very much everyone! How about particle size for turface pro, is it small enough for planting? is it a good size?
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
when turface is new and does not have that "bio film" it will be light, but after a few weeks its pretty good.
if you do use turface. use some npk sticks. and you should be ok.
plus with all the money you saved you can buy a better light or co2 equp
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you very much for all your help guys. I guess my last comment would be that, if in fact AquariumPlants.com's substrate is the same stuff as turface pro, they are advertising it as it if were something much better than it is, and I don't like that very much. Or maybe they add something to it, who knows, but from what I hear, I'm glad I asked...even if it is cheaper than Flourite, what would be the point of buying turface, branded as aquarium substrate, only more expensive? But I had at least to give it a shot; it would have been nice if the product was what I thought it was. Thank you all for your help.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Thank you very much for all your help guys. I guess my last comment would be that, if in fact AquariumPlants.com's substrate is the same stuff as turface pro, they are advertising it as it if were something much better than it is, and I don't like that very much. Or maybe they add something to it, who knows, but from what I hear, I'm glad I asked...even if it is cheaper than Flourite, what would be the point of buying turface, branded as aquarium substrate, only more expensive? But I had at least to give it a shot; it would have been nice if the product was what I thought it was. Thank you all for your help.
One benefit to me would be that Aquariumplants.com is guaranteeing it is ok for use in the aquarium. Turface carries no suck claim, and as such, is liable to change the mix or the composition as it suits them. ap.com is pretty affordable, that may well be worth it for a buyer concerned about becoming the guinea pig.

65 gallon journal:

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good point kid creole, thanks again

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode