The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Light reflector material
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Alleycat2

PTrader: (0/0%)
Light reflector material

Hello all

I am new to this forum and not really into fish, but have been lurking for a while trying to get ideas for an orchidarium I would like to build. I have found a lot of valuable info, and who knows...fish may be next.

I would like to give back something. I've read threads about people using pop cans and turning potatoe chip bags inside out trying to reflect light.

I don't know if anyone has tried it yet or if it would give enough reflective value, but you may want to look into printing press plates. The back of the aluminium plates is clean and shiney. Depending on the press size, they can be as large as about 40" x 26" flat sheet. They are very thin (big cut hazzard) and can be worked fairly easily. Most print shops recycle them, but if you asked, I doubt you would have any problems getting a few for free.

I plan to use them in my orchid case to see how they work, but that won't be for a while yet so I don't think I will be able to provide feedback. Give it a try...it may be a good solution.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome