Pressurized CO2...Just thought I'd share. - Page 28 - The Planted Tank Forum
 74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #406 of 414 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:36 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just wanted to share some information I learned of while shopping around for flexible tubing on McMaster-Carr. A lot of the tubing has a maximum pressure rating under 50 psi. Some are rated as little as 10 psi, a bunch at 20 and 30 psi, and only a few over 50 psi. Also, some say they are not for use in water, so for those of us using in-tank diffusers, we need to ensure the tubing can be in constant contact with water. I'll post back once I learn more and provide some part numbers of appropriate tubing for pressurized CO2 applications.

• 60G low-tech planted acrylic elongated hexagon
  • 29G low-tech planted glass rectangle
  • 20G high-tech planted acrylic rectangle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #407 of 414 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 05:02 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thank you, Darkblade48 for your excellent information. I have referenced this thread repeatedly as I began to re-enter the hobby with some better equipment (specifically, non-DIY CO2).

I ended up with a Victor Regulator G150-60-320, a Clippard solenoid MME-2PDS-D110, some plumbing pieces from Amazon & Lowe's, and a pair of Dwyer flow meters RMA-151-SSV to meter the flow to two separate tanks.

In addition, I have nylon check valves, in-tank diffusers which also act as bubble counters, and drop checkers in each tank.

I originally bought a cheaper regulator + solenoid + needle valve + bubble counter kit that was a complete disaster from the moment I felt the weight of it (lack thereof). Thankfully, Amazon makes returns easy. Finding better gear is a little bit more work (and $$), and you won't get free next-day delivery, but it's worth it.
post #408 of 414 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
Glad I could be of some assistance

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

post #409 of 414 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 01:48 AM
Planted Member

Question

THANK YOU Darkblade48 for the excellent information!

I was wondering, around 10 years have passed since the first post...with the advent of Amazon, fleabay etc, I see lots of cheap carbon dioxide "kits" for aquarium use. Some are only 40 bucks complete. But like whatever else in life, you get what you pay for.... so I have two questions:

1. Is the equipment recommended in the first few posts still relevant or newer models are available?
2. Are there any cheaper "equivalents" out there which are reasonable in reliability?

Also, From time to time I see people selling beer making equipment, which has a CO2 cylinder and some sort of regulator which looks kinda similar to the photos here. Is that worth looking into?

-Raj
post #410 of 414 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 02:11 AM
Planted Member

Lightbulb

Thanks again for the good info,

Although I am pretty sure everyone here already knows this info.....I just wanted to add that there is a newer model of the Fabco NV55 called Fabco NV-55-18. It is supposed to make it easier to mount straight to the regulator.

https://www.fabco-air.com/products/f.../NV-55-18.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
The next piece of equipment that is essential is the needle/metering valve.

snip

Here are some brands that I recommend:
Fabco (particularly the NV55)*

snip

*Note 1: The Fabco NV55 contains #10/32 port fittings. These are not your standard fittings and adapters cannot be purchased at the hardware store. The setup I would recommend is to have #10/32 to hose barb fittings and not trying to find #10/32 to (say) 1/8" NPT adapters. This is because attempting to attach the Fabco NV55 to the regulator is not a good idea. The Fabco NV55 is quite a heavy needle valve, and the #10/32 fittings are quite small and fragile, so a slight bump may cause the fitting to break. With the hose barb adapters, you can run this needle valve in-line.

-Raj
post #411 of 414 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude View Post
THANK YOU Darkblade48 for the excellent information!

I was wondering, around 10 years have passed since the first post...with the advent of Amazon, fleabay etc, I see lots of cheap carbon dioxide "kits" for aquarium use. Some are only 40 bucks complete. But like whatever else in life, you get what you pay for.... so I have two questions:

1. Is the equipment recommended in the first few posts still relevant or newer models are available?
2. Are there any cheaper "equivalents" out there which are reasonable in reliability?

Also, From time to time I see people selling beer making equipment, which has a CO2 cylinder and some sort of regulator which looks kinda similar to the photos here. Is that worth looking into?
There definitely is newer equipment that is out there these days, probably with quite competitive pricing. This is simply due to the the supply matching the demand. 10 years ago, there was simply not so much knowledge about pressurized CO2, and I had wrote the primer with the aim to demystify the fog around it.

Regarding cheaper equivalents, some may be better than others. I remember back in the day when I wrote this primer, the only commercially available unit was the Milwaukee MA957, which was not great, to say the least. Since demand was low back then, you could easily find industrial parts online (sold at liquidation prices, to boot), and build a much better setup for a fraction of the cost.

That being said, the primer is in need of an update, so I'll take some time to look into it and update it with some newer parts.

As you mentioned in your other post, the NV-55 (with its problematic fragile #10/32 ports) has been superseded by the NV-55-18, with the 1/8" NPT ports. This is generally what I recommend nowadays, since it's a fairly cheap, ~$30 (last I checked) needle valve.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #412 of 414 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 12:51 PM

just bought a 20 lbs. for my 55 gallon. Any idea how long it'll last my newly planted aquarium.

Bump: just bought a 20 lbs. for my 55 gallon. Any idea how long it'll last my newly planted aquarium.

Bump: Is co2art a quality brand?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
The next piece of essential equipment we will require for a pressurized CO2 setup is the regulator.

A regulator takes the tank pressure of the CO2 tank (normally at ~850 PSI or more, depending on the ambient temperature) and reduces it to a lower pressure.

We normally look for a regulator with two gauges. This means there are two pressure dials. The first pressure dial (high pressure dial) will indicate the pressure in the CO2 tank (i.e. the amount of CO2 that is remaining in the tank). The second pressure dial (low pressure dial, also known as the delivery pressure), will be the pressure that the regulator is bringing the CO2 down to. This is usually set anywhere from 5-20 PSI, depending on the size of your tank, and the desired bubble rate.

Sometimes, we also here the term dual stage used. Note that dual stage and dual gauge are not the same. These terms are sometimes used interchangeably, but this is incorrect. Dual stage refers to an additional body within the regulator that allows the pressure to be dropped in two stages, hence the name. Here are two figures that show the differences between the two:

Single stage regulator:

Dual stage regulator:

As the finer details are beyond the scope of this primer, more information regarding the differences can be found over at the Barr Report, where Left C and I are quite active as well.

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...age-Regulators

There has been a lot of debate over whether a single stage regulator or a dual stage regulator is best. There are often stories about people encountering "end of tank dump" (when the CO2 tank pressure begins to drop, there is sometimes a phenomenon in which all the CO2 will suddenly rush out of the tank, ending up in your aquarium and subsequently gassing all your fish to death) when using a single stage regulator. Some people will blame this on the regulator, while others will point out that it was a combination of a single stage regulator and a poor needle valve. Yet others will point out that despite having a single stage regulator and a sub-standard needle valve, they have yet to encounter "end of tank dump".

In the end, whether you purchase a single or dual stage regulator is up to you; dual stage regulators are the "premium" regulators, and will work reliably for our purposes. Single stage regulators will also work well for our purposes, and are often cheaper than dual stage regulators (more on this later).

Some good brands that I recommend:

Single stage regulators:
Cornelius
Micromatic
Victor

Dual stage regulators:
Concoa
Matheson
Victor

Finally, when purchasing your CO2 regulator, regardless whether it is a single or a dual stage regulator, be sure that you have the correct fitting (CGA320), or else it will not fit the CO2 tank. Sometimes, you may be able to find cheap regulators on eBay (more on this below) that do not have the correct fitting (most commonly found are those with a CGA580 fitting, used for nitrogen ). If this is the case, you can take off the fitting and replace with the appropriate CGA320 fitting.
post #413 of 414 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 01:10 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones33 View Post
I have the CO2Art Pro-SE and the CO2Art Pro-Elite. Of the two I prefer the Pro-Elite. It is easier to fine tune the needle valve, but they both seem to work great and I have them both in use today.

3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #414 of 414 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 01:15 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones33 View Post
just bought a 20 lbs. for my 55 gallon. Any idea how long it'll last my newly planted aquarium.

Bump: just bought a 20 lbs. for my 55 gallon. Any idea how long it'll last my newly planted aquarium.

Bump:
I think it will last you more than a year

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

-Raj

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode