The Planted Tank Forum banner

What dosage for dry ferts?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Ashnic05 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am wanting to start dosing dry ferts into my 30 gal. Plants I have are: A. ulvaceus, P. erectus, Red Tiger Lotus, Tiger Val, Sunset Hygro, C. lutea, Moneywort. Wanted to do basic ferts such as potassium nitrate, potassium phosphate as well as micronutrients. Was wanting to order from the below website as I read on another thread they are inexpensive. Not sure what to dose for micronutrients, or if I need to do GH as well? Newbie to all of this.

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/index.asp?Option1=cats&Edit=2&EditU=1&Regit=2

Also saw on the website the 'Mono Potassium Phosphate'....is this normal potassium phosphate? What do they mean by mono?

#2 ·
#4 ·
i have a really hard time working out the EI type dosing for my 29. for some reason after months of reading about it, i just can't get it to click. I like nikom8992's suggestion of the PPS Pro dosing. I think I'm going to do it that way because I really don't want to have to be doing a 50% H2O change weekly. With me working 60-80 hours a week currently, it's hard to squeeze that part in.

#5 ·
I appreciate having a list of nutrients that I need to dose...thanks! Tbh the calculator kind of confuses me. I'm more leaning towards EI dosing and didn't even know about PPS (lol) but I'll just research that method more and see if I will prefer it.

I really don't want to have to be doing a 50% H2O change weekly. With me working 60-80 hours a week currently, it's hard to squeeze that part in.
I don't mind doing water changes at all, I'm a full-time student and work at a LFS about 25 hrs/week so I'm very used to doing them and can get it done in about 10 min. Once you get the hang of it it doesn't take long at all. Although bigger tank = more time. :)

#8 · (Edited)
Basic EI dosing for 20-40g 3x/week (my primary is a 30g, so this is from memory)

1/4t KNO3
1/16t KH2PO4
1/16t CSM+B

KSO4 is optional, dependent on your tap water, at 1/16t
Extra iron (also optional) at maybe 1/32t
Calcium and Magnesium is up to you, generally not necessary unless you use DI/RO water.

edit - forgot GH Booster - also optional, depending on water parameters. Probably best to use it *OR* KSO4 at maybe 1/16 or 1/8t.

#9 ·
I just use my tap, no DI/RO water so I shouldn't need it. I have been doing 30% water changes weekly. I have yet to test my hardness but I can tomorrow and see what it's at. I will try this regimen and add potassium sulfate, iron and/or GH booster if needed, thanks a bunch! :)

#12 ·
Some people dose on the same day, while others do not.

Some recommend dosing on alternating days because it is simply easier to keep track of what has been dosed. Some people suggest dosing on alternating days to prevent iron and phosphates from reacting to form insoluble ferric phosphate, though this is really only a problem if you are dosing one after another, immediately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.