How did you get into this hobby? - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 02:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Growing up I used to visit the family farm in northern WI. Aunt Trudie ran the house and she was pretty much the LFS and bird store for the small farming town. She had bird cages and fish tanks everywhere. I "helped" her take care of everything one summer. My parents bought me a 20 gallon and had it set up when I returned home. Aunt Trudie sent me home with some 250 fancy tail guppies and they made the 3 day car trip with very little loss. The glory of that first tank...swirling colors everywhere was amazing. My jealous younger brother decided to turn the heater to full one night and they all died. However, that 3-4 days solidified my love for aquariums. 40 years later and I still want to reproduce that first tank... completely unhealthy for the tank but my goodness it was beautiful.
ReeferRob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmors View Post
I still want to reproduce that first tank...
Buy two guppies, wait 4 months. ; )
Cmors likes this.
post #63 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 08:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It was a gradual progression after my dad won a goldfish for me at a carnival. It was black and I named it Swimmy after this book.

.`.`..`.><(((>

post #64 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
It was a gradual progression after my dad won a goldfish for me at a carnival. It was black and I named it Swimmy after this book.

Ha! thanks for sharing, I just ordered a copy for the kiddo's. We were getting a little "Aesop'd out" here lately
babystarz likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #65 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
Ha! thanks for sharing, I just ordered a copy for the kiddo's. We were getting a little "Aesop'd out" here lately
You're welcome, I'm always happy to help cultivate another generation of fish fans.
KayakJimW likes this.

.`.`..`.><(((>
post #66 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:53 PM
Planted Member

I first got started in the hobby when I was in high school overseas. Back then it was just about keeping fish, and I was able to turn it into a bit of cash: I saw a lot of business (restaurants, office receptions etc) with filthy tanks and offered my services as a cleaner/maintainer.

Fast forward to adulthood when I got back into it with a proverbial 10G. Thats when I started with live plants, mainly for the sake of the fish: I firmly believe in giving them as natural an environment as possible which of course includes live plants. While I wish I could channel the late Amano and actually come up with something attractive, my first priority is happy fish.
post #67 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 08:09 PM
Planted Member

In 1991 I was 14 and I lived in a trailer park full of scumbags just north of Detroit. I had some older friends that were in their late teens. Someone gave them a 220 gallon tank. They put it in the kitchen it was almost as wide as the trailer. My buddies put 30 piranhas in it. We would feed them mice. Half the trailer park would cram into the trailer to watch them eat. My buddy could have charged admission. I was fascinated with aquarium ever since. A couple years later someone gave me a 29 gallon set up. I kept oscars and tiger barbs. I never had a desire to keep piranhas. Kind of been there done that. I became fascinated with planted tanks when I saw them in magazines in the late 90's. I never really understood how to do one until I got the internet in the early 2000's. Been in the hobby a long time. I remember back in the late 90's seeing zebra pleco's for $40.
post #68 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:10 AM
Algae Grower

I got into it back in 1972 and have been off and on since then. My mom had a tank and I wanted my own, she had a 29 gallon Metaframe with the stainless steel frame. I got a 20 high, my first fish were a Red Tailed black shark and a Khuli loach. I got a couple of Bloodfin tetras and a Green Cory cat a few weeks later and I was hooked. I got into breeding Bettas, Port Cichlids and different Cory cats.
Boxermom likes this.
post #69 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:30 AM
Algae Grower

Back in 1972 I started with guppies and gold fish ( no filtration) Now I have 400 gallons system full blown reef, 25 gallons cube natural plants tank and 40 gallons Dutch style started. Almost forgot and a 7000 gallons koi pond

Last edited by 25cube2019; 03-13-2019 at 01:34 AM. Reason: duplicated
post #70 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:48 AM
Algae Grower

Ive had ornamental and reef tanks my whole life. This was the next thing to try, plus its beautiful.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode