How did you get into this hobby? - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 08:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is a nice topic, for my first post.

It is a rather funny story, I totally blame my girlfriend for starting. We moved in together and she desperately wanted a pair of goldfish, I didn't like the idea because they obviously need a big tank and in our apartment it wasn't feasible. One day I arrived home and I see a bowl with two goldfish, no filter, just two fish in a 1g bowl. I was shocked and told her they would never make it to the end of the year. I obviously overestimated the 'setup' because they died after two weeks.

She really wanted an aquarium and so I tricked her a bit into buying a tropical aquarium (since I don't like goldfish that much). So we bought a 10g aquarium, I really want a big one but it isn't possible due to the limited space. I'll elaborate more about the exact setup and fish once I have taken some nice pictures.

But the whole point of the story, it is my girlfriend's fault, which means she can never complain about it because she started it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 12:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by co2art View Post
One day my wife brought home a betta. I looked at it and said to myself, that ain't right. I later found this forum and several others. The rest is history.
Exactly what happened to me, little fish bowl seems so wrong

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #33 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Algae Grower

My 4th grade teacher had an aquarium in the classroom. I got in trouble a couple times for watching the fish when I should have been paying attention to class, yet here I 20 years later still staring at the fish.

post #34 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 01:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

made the horrible msitage off purring a cory in with turtles thinking it would be great and then had to save it and give it a tank of its own(30 gal). Then i got more and more fish. Then I bred fish and now I have a 65 and a 30. that mistake became my hobby, and in my opinion it was the best mistake I ever made.

Bump: mistake and putting ,sorry
post #35 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Algae Grower

Had fish as a kid in my parents basement in the city....moved to the country in my teen years and was to busy being a reckless kid and chasing girls.
Now I'm older and married with kids that are getting older and need a more relaxing hobby.....a few weeks ago we inherited some neglected fish and have just completed rehab to full recovery in a new home. My daughter and I have been having lots of fun with it and enjoy our frequent trips to the local shops to see whats new.....
post #36 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I got a 10 gallon metal frame tank for my 9th birthday and was just as unhappy the plants died as when fish died. Have always wanted to see fish swimming in and around a lush planted tank. The loose leaf binder fish book I got in 1963 had pictures of amazing plants and now I have some of those longed for species! Wanted hairgrass, Marsilea and Brazilian Pennywort and now they are mine.

For 15 years had to settle for plastic foliage from the five and dime and then fake fresh water aquatic plants from the pet store for a scape my fish could swim around and through. Tank was put away for 5 years then a 3' wall opened up in the living room and I found a SeaclearII at a garage sale with 2 fluorescent bulbs and was off and running. That tank ended up with 6x30 watts of T12 and was definitely many shades of green. I didn't care that there was algae as plants thrived. Tried DIY CO2 and was hooked. Found room for a 5' tank on a different wall in 2000 and have been big tanking it since.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #37 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
My sister and her husband gifted me with a 10 gallon tank when I was a youngling. Somehow, I ended up with all the family aquariums, including the 20 sis had.

Of course, I wanted angelfish right off the bat. I only reluctantly caved and got neons, cories, and...scissortails instead. And later added guppies. Eventually (like 5 months later) I scored my angelfish, passing on all the guppies. My first foray into live plants was a piece of anacharis that snuck in with a goldfish. It grew. Some sort of strange irony that I can't keep anacharis alive now to save myself.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #38 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 05:29 AM
Algae Grower

When I was young I remember my dad set up a tank and I loved helping him with it, but I also remember him coming home after a hard day of work and he would put a pillow on the floor and just lay down and look up at his tank and unwind. My mom said it was his therapy.

He passed away in 1998 and I was going through a stressful time, so my mom mentioned my dad and the fish tank, I set up a 20 gallon FW and haven't been without a tank since. Started with a 20 gallon then 75 gallon, 220 gal saltwater and now we just converted the 220 to a planted. It's only 3 weeks old still cycling and no fish yet, but I got the plants in and I'm actually enjoying the tank just like it is.
Surrealle likes this.
post #39 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 12:35 AM
Algae Grower

I had a gross, sad, overstocked Noah's Ark of a 10 gallon tank for a couple years in high school then got away from the hobby when I went to college. Fast forward a couple years after getting my degree and moving out on my own, and I'm helping a friend of a friend move out of an apartment. He was selling his already set-up 29 gallon planted tank with about 7 fish in it. I buy it and the inhabitants, do some research on the fish species, find out that they thrive in a planted tank, and then I got the bug. Haven't stopped. My MTS is currently at 5 current tanks from 10-90 gallons, and I have 5 more tanks stacked up in my garage for future expansion.
post #40 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 05:14 PM

Friend at work left me her beta when she got another job. 5 tanks later!
post #41 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 09:55 PM
Algae Grower

My grandfather got me a fish at age 8 and now 30 years later I don't remember one year I didn't have a fish tank or pond .
Thanks grandpa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #42 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 12:52 AM
Algae Grower

My aunt gave me a 10 gallon tank for my birthday in middle school. I put some guppies in there and looked up fish tank keeping. I discovered planted tanks and fell in love. I haven't been without a fish tank since.
post #43 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 01:10 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I came to this site 3 months & $3k ago...

I found out that the "H" in 120-H stands for HERNIA

GLA Mini M "Divorce Papers"
ADA 60-P Mist "A Beautiful Place Out In The Country"

PROUD US Army Disabled Veteran 1994-2004
post #44 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Had a roomate with a 10 gallon with 2 goldfish a fantail and a comet. The tank started to stink so i started to take care of those little fish after about 2 months of upgrading her filter and doing 50% water changes every week i decided to get my own tank it was a 75 1/1/12 now i have 9 planted tanks. The roomate left her tank with me when she moved back to China, I ended up putting the goldfish in a 55 with a Eheim g160 and lots of anubius, Java fern, and African Bolbitis, spoiled little fishies they are. Getting ready to set up a 90 gallon show tank with a Eheim 2080, going to try my hand at a planted Discus tank.
post #45 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 08:35 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've always been fascinated with the cycles of the natural world, been keeping things in clear containers for as long as I can remember. Can't really remember an "event" that led to this hobby. I'm sure there was a lightbulb moment but it had to of been before I was even five.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode