How much do you spend on your fish? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

PTrader: (0/0%)
How much do you spend on your fish?

What is the most you have ever spent on one fish? How about your tank set up in general?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 08:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
One fish i'd say less than $20, but on shrimp My largest purchase to date was $75
forumadmin and forumadmin like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 09:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
My tank set up, over the course of the last few months probably cost me hundreds of dollars. I was new into the hobby and had a series of trial and error... cost me a lot of money. But on a monthly basis, maybe $20, unless I just haul a bunch of fish stuff. For fish, my most expensive were my black kuhli loach, which I got online, shipping is expensive.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
So far, most I've spent on a single fish was $90 for a nice Jardini Arowana.
Tank set up for monster fish and even community tank set up cost a lot more than expected, hard to put a number on it. Now for all the fish, I've spent thousands on. I'm a fish guy, but now diving into heavily planted tanks and so you can imagine the extra costs of plants, co2, lighting, etc. Not to mention all the extra expenses on a huge assortment of foods and tank accessories. The hobby is a ton more expensive that I ever knew when starting out. It's a joy, but if I knew how much I would end up spending, I would of used the money on other hobbies/things, with knowing how much I have spent. Out of all the tanks and fish I have, I didn't even breed to sell fish and profit, but now I am thinking of trying to make some money back with planted tanks. Still enjoy, but my wallet doesn't.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 10:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
So far, most I've spent on a single fish was $90 for a nice Jardini Arowana.
Tank set up for monster fish and even community tank set up cost a lot more than expected, hard to put a number on it. Now for all the fish, I've spent thousands on. I'm a fish guy, but now diving into heavily planted tanks and so you can imagine the extra costs of plants, co2, lighting, etc. Not to mention all the extra expenses on a huge assortment of foods and tank accessories. The hobby is a ton more expensive that I ever knew when starting out. It's a joy, but if I knew how much I would end up spending, I would of used the money on other hobbies/things, with knowing how much I have spent. Out of all the tanks and fish I have, I didn't even breed to sell fish and profit, but now I am thinking of trying to make some money back with planted tanks. Still enjoy, but my wallet doesn't.
+1... Its not the fish its the other things... In the past 2 months I bought an Apex controller, custom CO2 regulator, a BML 36" dutch original and a 60" dutch MC series... Thats more than Ive spent on the entire tank in 5 years LOL... In fact I only paid 60 bucks for the uniquarium 125G tank in my sig LOL

I don't really think about fish cost as I was doing reef for years. It used to be spend $70 at the LFS and get 1 thing... Freshwater? You can get a BUNCH for $70... Its a beautiful thing.

The most I've spent on a freshwater fish? 8 bucks? LOL I was given a Mango Pleco in the 90s and that had to have been an expensive fish! (but it was a gift so I have no idea what it cost).

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 10:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Most days I don't really want to know. For a single item though, it would have to be 115$ for lighting. My largest tank is 7G. Imagine what it would be like with bigger tanks.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 10:12 PM
Planted Member

So you're an admin on AF and TPH? Nice. Well the most expensive fish I have ever bought was a 20 dollar electric blue ram cichlid.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 10:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
$45 for a leopard frog pleco. I know the "rule" is to buy 6 fish and the odds are that you will have both sexes. I played roulette and only bought 3 ($135) and ended up with 3 females!! Ouch!
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 04:20 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forumadmin View Post

What is the most you have ever spent on one fish? How about your tank set up in general?
You ask the question but don't fess up yourself. Wife/Husband looking over your shoulder?

My most expensive is probably $15. But I bought a bunch.

Most of my 61 tanks were pretty cheap. The 90, 75 were free. Some 50's with stand were under 50. My metaframes were free. 24 tanks were $4 each. The rest I bought over the last 34 years new here and there. 10s are from the $1/gal sale. Maybe a dozen of those too.

Most expensive item was the AP 100. $140.00

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Last edited by GraphicGr8s; 09-22-2015 at 04:21 AM. Reason: yu
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 02:41 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
You ask the question but don't fess up yourself. Wife/Husband looking over your shoulder?
No its the mod posting a bunch of new threads after the update.

There are a bunch of these threads. I responded to this one before I realized it was just the mods and not legit posts.

Pretty lame if you ask me...

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 03:46 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepapagold View Post
No its the mod posting a bunch of new threads after the update.

There are a bunch of these threads. I responded to this one before I realized it was just the mods and not legit posts.

Pretty lame if you ask me...
Hey it opens up a conversation about different things. I'm OK with that.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have a personal limit of $25 for any given fish. Just an arbitrary number with no real reasoning other than I have to cut myself off at some point.

I was prepared to go past that number on an Aquabid auction of some Alpha swordtails, but I ended up being way too rich for my fishgeek blood.

I'm running just a hair under 1,000G of water and the vast majority is DIY stands and used tanks. But it still costs a mint. No, my wife will never see this stuff as an investment.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Hey it opens up a conversation about different things. I'm OK with that.
Im not because the same person just posted a bunch of try too hard threads.

Im here to exchange real topics with real people... not create malarky threads...

These are a complete waste of time IMHO. You do notice the OP/admin NEVER posts a response to their own question NOR do they actually participate in the thread. Thats pathetic.

Not on the responders part (like you), but pathetic on the part of the OP.

If your forum can't generate its own legit content (which this forum does)... Then it shouldn't exist.

And the way they force "recent discussions" as a NON-REMOVABLE side panel kinda says it all... I've been a forum moderator and this site is trying to up its activity and post count with typical malarky...

I finished buying my lights (which was why I was on here so much recently) so now I can just go away quietly and update my journal once and a while...

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 04:20 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Most for one... $35 for a Liberian orange spotted eel (Mastacembelus liberiensis)
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 04:27 AM
Algae Grower

I take a frugal approach towards fish but I but quality equipment. Expensive fish are a gamble. Expensive equipment have warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode