What is the craziest fish related thing that has ever happened to you? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RCB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
What is the craziest fish related thing that has ever happened to you?

The title says it all. My craziest is when my single amano shrimp had a bunch of babys. Then they were eaten by my platy. I haven't been in the hobby very long, so I don't have many stories to tell.

Bump: Sorry it was actually a cherry shrimp.

75 gallon low tech low light no supplemental co2 planted community freshwater tropical tank(Quite the mouthfull!!)about to cycle
10 gallon species tank with 11 neon tetras

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

See my 75 gallon tank journal!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:41 PM
Algae Grower

I got some water out of a bird fountain, and I thought they were butterfly or moth inch worms, that I decided to put in (5 of them), but they may be nematodes or even small tape worms. As I use that container for drinking water, I'm extra careful to pour back anything moving, but I decided to keep them as I don't have anything else living in there.

cc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

umm. ok then. I hope you have good medical insurance lol.

Bump: BTW WELCOME TO THE PLANTED TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
I wish you a happy hobby and lots of baby fish.

75 gallon low tech low light no supplemental co2 planted community freshwater tropical tank(Quite the mouthfull!!)about to cycle

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:51 PM
Algae Grower

I once had a male Endler's livebearer who would attack all other males he encountered. He would chase one into a crevice or corner and attack him relentlessly.
He was a terror. Never seen an Endler act like that before or since.

I resorted to flushing this little bully down the toilet. I'm not proud of this, btw.
Anyhow, an hour or so later I returned to the toilet, and to my chagrin, he was still in the bowl, swiming around!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wow. just wow. What did you do with him? Do I want to know?

Bump: I guess they are hardy fish lol.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:07 PM
Algae Grower

At the time, I was a newby and had no other tanks.
So, I flushed again.
I still feel guilty, lol.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think he learned his lesson the very very hard way.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:40 PM
RCB
Algae Grower

This may fall under the titles description. While shopping in Chinatown, I went into the vegetable market which is right next door to a fish market. Live fish of all types are sold there. To dispatch a customers live fish, the monger gives it a swift whack and puts it into a Pink plastic bag. As I was waiting in line to pay for my vegetables a customer at the front of the line was getting her groceries rung up. All of a sudden that Pink plastic bag began to jump up and down on the counter.

Apparently the fish monger didn't whack the fish hard enough. Ive never seen bodies move so fast, myself included. After a brief moment, we all got a laugh out of what just happened.
aquanerd13 likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That is downright hilarious!!!!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I've had at least one aquarium running since I got my first one on my 6th birthday. Over those 44 years probably averaged around 6-10 tanks at any given time. Lots has happened, or "gone wrong" over that time span. I had a snowflake moray eel that I thought was eaten by a grouper and then found him on the floor dry and stiff days later and threw him back in the tank for the triggers to eat. After about 6 hours he reanimated. And kind of "shed his skin," that's one I will never forget. I had a neon tetra once that ate the eyes out of other fish. I refused to believe it was that fish until I saw the behavior myself. I fed him to a pike cichlid on the spot and never had a one eyed or blind fish again. I still believe I might have been the first to discover the "electric blue gene" in my breeding pair Jack Dempsey's but pretty as those fry were they were slow to free swim so I euthanized like an idiot. I grew a scolymia coral from a bud which is said to be impossible but I have photo evidence. I bought a catfish from the LFS in the early 80's that could shock the [email protected] out of you and did more than a few times. I once had a big predator tank and sold off the cichlids and while getting it ready for new fish a kuhli loach was just sitting on a rock pleased as pie. That had been a predator tank for YEARS. Similarly, I found giant breeding cherry shrimp in a tank I'd unplugged and left fallow for ages. It was unheated in my cold garage and I know it got to the 40's at least. When I went to drain it to start it over, I there swims a 1.5" cherry! I found baby white clouds in a bucket of exchange water that had sat stagnant for weeks, had a lid on it, and was never fed -nothing should have lived in there. I once found my (unidentified species of) octopus in one of my freshwater tanks. He not only left his marine tank and ventured into another but either never opened it or closed the lid behind him -it was the only way out. Did not survive the ordeal, sadly and I never kept cephalepods since. Will probably remember more reading these, great thread!

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You have quite the stories. Neon tetras and piranhas are in the same family after all. lol. Octopi can squeeze out of like 1" openings. I guess eels are made of steel or something. Kind of like weather loaches.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode