Does my aquarium need to be cycled? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Many times I get home from the society auction with a load of fish with no tanks ready. I fill up the tanks I need and add fish. It does help that I am on well water however. Now the confession is the tanks are, at first, lightly stocked and water changes are consistent.
So you keep the fish alive with many water changes? How many per week?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogierFvV View Post
Additional notes to cycling my 29 gallon tank:
I used Seachem stability during the cycling to get bacteria culture started, especially during the high Ammo (TAN) periods. and I also supplemented the substrate with a Prodibio Bacter Soil kit.
How much did you pay for the prodibio bacteria soil kit?
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 01:47 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
So you keep the fish alive with many water changes? How many per week?
With new tanks I'll do 10% every day for 2-3 weeks then I start weaning down to a once a week 50% change with all the other tanks. I've been weaning down on tanks so I can redo the fish house though. I want to clear out all of the tanks, fix the drywall and mildew, repaint then organize the tanks for more efficient operations. I currently own close to 70 tanks and want to get them all running by year end.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
With new tanks I'll do 10% every day for 2-3 weeks then I start weaning down to a once a week 50% change with all the other tanks. I've been weaning down on tanks so I can redo the fish house though. I want to clear out all of the tanks, fix the drywall and mildew, repaint then organize the tanks for more efficient operations. I currently own close to 70 tanks and want to get them all running by year end.
Wow 70 tanks. That must take some time. Have you the kids helping you with the maintenance?
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 02:23 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Wow 70 tanks. That must take some time. Have you the kids helping you with the maintenance?
My only kid is 7 so no help. I own almost 70. So far I've only had 42 running at once. I've cut to 30+ getting ready for the redo. All my tanks are heavily planted and lightly stocked. While I try to do changes every week I can go for at least 3-4 without one and still be fine. When I finally settle on what I want to breed I'll be more attentive to husbandry. And when I am at full tankage I'll do a bit of automation. At least on the fill part. I get to draining a tank while filling another and you can guess the outcome.
Also while I do a change every week not all are done on the same day. And some of the larger tanks don't really require a weekly because they are so lightly stocked. My 75 right now has maybe a handful of livebearers. It can go a month without a change.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 03:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Here's a scenario:
If you don't use filters - there are those of us who do not use filters - then you are working on water changes and plants only.
Does it work? Yes.
Will it work for you? Impossible to say for sure. It depends on your tap water quality and the amount of water you change.

Here's my philosophy:
Filters work, but water changes are better.
GraphicGr8s and GraphicGr8s like this.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 05:47 PM
Algae Grower

Set up a bucket with a powerhead and your bio filter media full of water. Dose ammonia as you would for fishless cycling. Test, etc. Start this before you set up your new tank (or even while you're shopping) and the media will be ready close to when the tank is. Then move it to the newly set up tank.

I have a MarinePure slab in a bucket right now cycling for my new 60.

I used to keep a bucket of bioballs going like that back when I was breeding. Always had cycled media ready to go whenever I needed to spin up a new tank. Wrap a handful of them in filter mat, stick a tube with an airstone in it and instant sponge filter for fry. Really useful when the idiot parents spawn unexpectedly or you need a treatment tank.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

On youtube Dr Tim shows how you can cycle a tank without any seeded material in 7 days.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 08:45 PM
Algae Grower

While I do see a ton of information here, it is kind of all over the place. To get back to the original question...

"Does my aquarium need to be cycled if I stuff it full of healthy plants from the beginning?"

Well, no one hear really loudly said it, and I want to at least get it out there, in case anyone new reads this thing: You could very easily lose all of your fish trying to cycle with live fish, relying on your plants to do the filtering.

Hey, I've done it with success, before. Substrate in, plants in, fish in, turn on equipment, monitor parameters, cross fingers, hope. I've also seen entire tanks of fish die off, due to an ammonia spike, even though the tank was "heavily planted". There is too much gray area there, for my tastes. What is "heavily planted"? How many fish to use per plant? Per ounce of plant? Per stem? Per surface area of leaf? Seriously, there is no real way to quantify the needs for this process.

In short, I personally judge it way too risky, and stick to fishless cycling, even in my heavily planted tanks. Could it work? Sure. Does an entire tank of fish slowly dying of ammonia poisoning cause you any angst or sadness? Measure that (unknown) risk versus the potential gains, and make your decision.

Namaste.

-- 2.5 Gallon mini bowfront with a field of crypt wendtii, some java fern, java moss, 8 RCS, and several species of snails.
-- 55 Gallon long with Green Rotala, Crypt Wendtii, Red Ludwigia, Blyxa Japonica, Bacopa Carolinia, Banana Plant, Dwarf Sag, and an Amazon Sword. 2 Bolivian rams, 2 German Golden longfin rams, 2 German Blue Longfin Rams, 17 Rummies, 7 Neons, and a lonely Amano.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaeSuse View Post
"Does my aquarium need to be cycled if I stuff it full of healthy plants from the beginning?"
That is what the late Rex Griggs called a silent cycle. He listed these plants -
Plants Foxtail, Hygro, Creeping Charlie, Red Ludwigia, Moneywort, Wisteria, Egeria, Shinnersia rivularis, Sprite. Suggestions 4-6 stems each.

When dealing with nature nothing is written in stone. Just start slowly. Start with 3 medium easy fish. You would not start with fish like RAMs.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:39 PM
Algae Grower

nice tank whats taht carpet?

hi all
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Algae Grower

Because when starting, the water in the aquarium very new and the microorganism in this environment still not be set. So there aren't nothing that treat the nitrite produced by the waste of aquarium inhabitants. So you should make your tank cycled before stocking to ensure your fish healthy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode