24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

PTrader: (0/0%)
Overstocking a Tank

Can you overstock a tank?

~ Glen Community Support

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
yes don't overstock your tank. overstocking bad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Meh....it depends.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 04:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Lots of folks in the cichlid world overstock to control aggression. I myself never did and I personally find it to be a horrible idea. Understocking is a much better way to go. The fish have much less stress. If something happens to the tank it is easier to get under control. Disease outbreak does much less damage and is easier to cure. There is much less pressure on the bio-filter. These are just my way of doing things and I am not by any means saying they are right for everyone as there a lot of heavily stocked cichlid tanks, it just isnt for me or my style of fish care.
Leeatl and Leeatl like this.

75G Seachem Flourite

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

Last edited by thedood; 04-08-2016 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Grammar
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Am I on Candid Camera?
BadApple and BadApple like this.

Last edited by houseofcards; 04-08-2016 at 06:09 PM. Reason: add
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 05:57 PM
Planted Member

fish: understock
plants: overstock
thedood, thedood, Leeatl and 7 others like this.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Am I on Candid Camera?
No, Confessions of a taxi driver!
houseofcards and houseofcards like this.

75G Seachem Flourite

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
IMO it depends on the situation. I would not overstock a small tank with large fish, but I would overstock a large tank with small fish. I could also understand overstocking as long as the fish will occupy different levels of the tank, that way they will not overcrowd each other. IMO there is a difference between overstocking and overcrowding. I think that if the tank has plenty of swimming room, plenty of hiding spots, the fish species are chosen wisely, and large water changes are often then overstocking is possible without negative affects.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 07:28 PM
Planted Member

Depends on the definition of overstocked. Any amount of fish that can be housed and kept healthy and stress free, with no aggression between them, is by definition understocked.

Born a Pisces, Always a Pisces
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 12:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

It depends, I plan on slightly overstocking a 180 non-planted in the future. But I try to understock my 55g planted

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 07:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
The question:
Can you overstock a tank?

The answer:
Yes. You can.

What it boils down to:
Understocked aquariums are easier to maintain and have less risk involved.
Overstocked aquariums require more work to maintain and have more risk involved.
It all depends on how much time, effort, and money you want to put into it. Always consider the quality of life you can give to the plants and animals in your care.

Last edited by Acro; 04-09-2016 at 10:36 AM. Reason: .
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I guess for me you would have to explain what over stock is. If the fish are growing and healthy are they over stocked? This isn't the wild theses are our pets and if they can have life that has less stress and they feel comfortable and the really only way to know is to watch how they react and grow. So yes you can over stock with two fish but yet not with 30 fish so it really depends on each tank and it's owner.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've kept pretty well stocked tanks for many years. Some would call overstocked? Maybe?

If you follow some basics, you can get away with a lot more. Here's what works for me.

Multiple filters and heavy filtration. Clean filters often. Large regular water changes. Heavy surface agitation. Heavy flow throughout tank. Don't over feed.

In my opinion lack of regular good maintenance will result in much less margin for error.

------------------
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 02:11 PM
Algae Grower

For me stocking is one of those things that you can play around with and it is not set in stone. For me good maintenance, the right filtration and stocking the tank with species that utilise different levels of the tank. Has allowed me to keep more fish then running less filtration, having all the fish as just mid level fish and having a so so maintenance routine.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 11:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Another important factor is oxygen consumption. Greggz hit on this point when he mentioned having plenty of surface agitation which will help increase the amount of available oxygen.

It's important to note that higher stocking will mean that your fish will be at a greater risk of running out of oxygen in a power outage when the surface agitation stops. You will also have a much smaller safety margin for available oxygen if you are running CO2 injection or operating at a higher temperature (e.g. in a Discus tank).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode